Straightening a mag?

tIB

Senior Retro Guru
Picked up a rather lovely looking set of mag wheels for my zaskar, both arrived with issues, the front one being that it is buckled - is it possible to straighten these out somehow?

I was thinking of making a rig and applying pressure (and possibly low heat) to the buckled area overnight to see if that would sort it.

Other ideas welcome... except for stick it in the freezer! I do have a nice original Hadley/GT front that I could replace with but would rather have the pair of mags at this point.

tIB":2xcumw5l said:
Teny rims 26 inch rim brake.

Possibly some form of Jig and pressure/heat would help true the wheel? Never having done it or seen it done its a tough one. Depending on the amount its un-true i would be inclined to leave it. I run some BMX's with Nylon Mags and they dont always run true, but its only mm we are talking about so not too much of an issue. By the way the Freezer trick was an Urban Myth from the 80's tried it and didnt work back then, occasionally it rears its head on the 80's BMX Forums lol :D

Hope you get sorted.

Jussa :)

My last one came from eBay and was listed as true (although in fairness I was refunded). Thanks though- it's not far away so worth keeping an eye on.

I'm going to send it to my dad's next time I'm passing and see if he can make a jig for it- seems like the best thing to try... I'll update results as and when they come.

I was thinking pressure overnight first and hairdryer second if that doesn't do it.

Back