91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech

...I joined this forum...cos I have the same...problem. There, said it.

Seems I can't get early Saracens out of my system either.

Am looking for one as per my wanted ads etc.

Richard

Re: 91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech - Emerges from the Cobwebs

Corduroyboy":livq4uql said:
Gravy Monster":livq4uql said:
I like the "Handbuilt in England" decals , Saracen certainly dont make em like they used to :shock:

Cheers

Were the frames actually made in England then? And if so, where were they built and when did they stop? I was became suspicious of companies BITD stating things like 'Handbuilt in England' when all they were doing was assembling the components here.... :roll:

In the early 90's I lived near the guy who owned, but I dont know if he formed, Saracen bikes and remember him saying that the factory wasn't too far from his house, so it must have been somewhere in, or very near to Warwickshire. Also, in connection with my built, but not made, in Warwick theory, I did meet a guy in Warwick who claimed to still have a Saracen MTB that he bought new in about 1985/86 which was directly connected to Saracens founder. I did inform him of this site at the time I met him so I am very surprised he hasn't posted any pics of it on here as he was enormously enthusiastic about it when I was talking to him.

If anyones interested in looking him up you'll find the guy selling model cars and bike stuff at Cape Road car boot sale behind Warwick Police Station on a Saturday morning between May and September. He's about 5'6 with white hair and a white beard, late 50's and quite athletic looking. I think this thread needs pics of his bike. He was very keen to talk about that bike and seemed to know quite a bit about Saracens history.

Re: 91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech - Emerges from the Cobwebs

fluroforks":xljdf1ga said:
In the early 90's I lived near the guy who owned, but I dont know if he formed, Saracen bikes and remember him saying that the factory wasn't too far from his house, so it must have been somewhere in, or very near to Warwickshire

They were definitely in Warwickshire. Early bikes may have been 'made' in England but later models were deffo made in the Far East and brought back to Warwickshire for assembly....hence 'Hand built in England'.

dirtjumper_dmr":3ssb7e5v said:
Here's my '97 TerraTrax pictured up at Haldon Hill... minus decals as they fell off.... the headtube one and the 'Handbuilt in England' ones are still there :)
Saracen were very helpful with catalogue scans enabling me to verify it's year and also providing ideas for my next Saracen project :D :D :D

I've just got a very similar looking frame off ebay. Has yours got 80mm forks on? Handle them ok? Also do you have contact number or email at Saracen. Would be appreciated!

Hi, I don't see the problem with liking early saracens. Like Raleigh, bitd they were bikes that were built well and lasted unlike the china inported crap that we see now under the same badges! I have had my Kili Pro from new (1992ish i think) and still have it, due to needing some bits for a temp build, it's in pieces at the moment, but it's (was) still running on most of the original parts. Ok i admit thats down to shimano, but the point is it will outlast any Halfords, argos crap thats out there now.

More pics, I have been for a quick rip on the Trekker today with my boys :cool:, and got some more pics of bike and decals

Saracentrekker002.jpg

Saracentrekker015.jpg

Saracentrekker006.jpg

Saracentrekker005.jpg

Saracentrekker008.jpg

Saracentrekker009.jpg

Saracentrekker007.jpg

Saracentrekker010.jpg

Saracentrekker004.jpg

Saracentrekker012.jpg

Saracentrekker013.jpg

Saracentrekker014.jpg