REGIONAL ROAD RIDE, 21st August. RIDE REPORT

Re:

Sorry you won't be able to join us, be good to see you though mate ;)

Mike

Re:

Bumhats.

Doctors orders mean that I can't ride at the moment, well not more than a gentle pootle less than 5 miles - messes with the blood tests.

And apparently 10 pootles one after another isn't allowed either. :(

Re:

I think it's meant to calm down a bit Andy. But leave your deep section rims at home, just in case ! ;)

There should be a fair amount of shelter on the route, maybe some dirty roads though mate.
Bit of a shame that, wanted to wear my R.M.O. jersey, but I don't think that the white will stay that way :roll:

Riding the Gitane

Mike

Re: REGIONAL ROAD RIDE, 21st August. DETAILS UP!

rough rough night with the bairn, so I may not make this at all now. Will see how she and the mrs are when they're up

Re:

In spite of yesterday's wind and rain, today's ride was run off in very pleasant weather.

On the way to meeting like minded souls, I stopped for a moment of reflection.

IMG_0479 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Waiting in the bus shelter was Splatter Paint, and not long after I arrived, so did Andyz, swiftly followed by Godders. Not knowing who was going to show up, I thought it best to give others a few more minutes past the 10am start time, to arrive. No-one else did.
However, what we lacked in quantity, we made up for in quality. These people are the ones that regularly turn up for rides I arrange, thanks lads! ;)

IMG_0480 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

So, having crossed over the road to the old toll bridge, we held a minute's silence as a mark of respect to all that had perished a year ago.
Before we got on and ' did some biking ' as our comrade would have put it.
Up through to Steyning along ' lumpy ' country road, and past the café I normally stop in. :shock: Yes, really!
After which, we headed out on some quiet local lanes, which annoyingly, seemed to have more traffic than normal on them. The roads did get quieter though, the further we went. They also got more gravelly. Thankfully though, we all stayed upright . Taking in the peace and lovely scenery, we rolled along

IMG_0482 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

IMG_0484 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Godders sporting a lovely RetroBIKE jersey, I must get one my size one of these days! :roll:

Until we reached the pub. A very welcome sight it was too. The bikes taking a well-earned break!

IMG_0489 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Allowing us to re-fuel also, that was welcome! :p

IMG_0490 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

After which, Godders bid us farewell, fair enough as he would have been riding in the direct opposite way to where he lives.
So back towards Shoreham we trundled, taking in some of the Downs Link as we did,

IMG_0491 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Thankfully without punctures! Phew!

Got back to Shoreham, where I was reminded by Andyz about the 'bike of the ride ' competition that we used to have.
This time it had to go to Splatter Paint, with his late '80s Dawes Super Galaxy, which along with looking lovely, was also pretty fast with this culprit riding it!

IMG_0492 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Nice one, Mike! ;)

Then, after being accosted by someone from Sustrans, we said our goodbyes and headed back home!

Thanks for the ride lads. You're the backbone of this region's RetroBIKE riders! :cool:

IMG_0494 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

Mike

Re:

Great ride as always Mike :) and great company ;) a fitting tribute to lost friends, a quiet moments reflection at the bridge shared with a group of Sunday morning runners.... very much looking forward to the next outing ;)

Mick :)

Back