Mum’s Clockwork

WD Pro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi,

I will post pictures of my current rebuild in due time but as I was at mum and dads last night I thought you might be interested in a rebuild I did approx twelve years ago :D

The bike was originally my dad’s clockwork that was rebuilt for my mum when dad started getting into road bikes more.

I would appreciate some help from the clockwork gurus as mine and my dad’s memory on the frame is a little jaded :LOL: Its approx 94 / 95 vintage. I should have measured it but we think it was a special edition 14.5” (dads a shortie and bought it as a replacement for his 15.5” rock hopper) and we think it was either Tange prestige or infinity :?

The bike was re-enameled (in mums color choice) when it was built for her as the satin black clockwork paint was that good you only needed to fart near it and some more would fall off … :LOL:

Feel free to take the piss about the choice of seat and bar end positioning – but as its mums bike and that’s what she likes, that’s what she got ;) It was originally done with SR bear traps and purple specialized clips but they to were changed at here request to what you see in the pics :

Orange.jpg

Onza’s, XT 7 speed thumbies, dia comps, flexstem, all ti bolts, Ringle holeys, Deore lx headset :

Bars.jpg

Dia comp, Onza, ti cage, ti bolts, Royce ti (if I remeber correctly) BB :

SeatTube.jpg

XT mechs, specialized crank, x-lite etc :

Crank.jpg

USE ti with a big comfy arm chair :

Seat.jpg

Dave Hinde built Mavic 231’s, radial front, ss double butted spokes, Deore hubs (as dad was insistent on black), air B’s, Tioga’s :

Wheel.jpg

As mum rides it less and less now I suspect I might get to rebuild it again soon – will be the same spec (other than saddle & pedals) but put back to one of the orange color schemes (probably the satin black), stickerd up correctly again and set up for my dad to use on the road, on his errands to tesco’s … :LOL:

PS : Photos aren’t the best as they are off my phone :(

Cheers,

WD :D

Very, very cool.. liking that one hell of a lot. That was the kind of build I always wanted back in the early nineties, although a slightly bigger frame. That size has to be soo rare though!

Tange Infinity.. definetly! I look forward to seeing the resto :D

(Go orange and white fade... you know you want too!!)

Cheers for the comments :D

It looks smaller in real life - like a bmx frame with big wheels :LOL:

So they were defo infinity form that era then ?

Cheers,

I won't mention the bar ends, slicks, saddle, or dayglo flex stem, as you say it's how your Mum wants it :)

Cool thing though :cool: , i'm no expert but i'd have thought it was earlier than 94 due to the downtube routing of the front mech cable, i think it changed to all three cables along the top tube before 94, i'd have guessed that frame to be 91 92, does it have a chainstay bridge ?, as these were deleted on later frames too.

[EDIT] Ah, just noticed it's not got a canti stop on the seat stay so i may be talking pish about the year :roll: , unless the stop was removed ? , Also i vote for re-doing it Orange/white fade with original stickers, would look sweet ;) [EDIT]

jimihendrix":3dx2x48i said:
[EDIT] Ah, just noticed it's not got a canti stop on the seat stay so i may be talking pish about the year :roll: , unless the stop was removed ? , Also i vote for re-doing it Orange/white fade with original stickers, would look sweet ;) [EDIT]

I seem to remember that the smaller frames didn't have canti stops on the wishbone.. just no room for it!

I would say 91-92 and definetly infinity! ;)

Since it's not got a chainstay bridge (going by the position of the chain suck plate) but has downtube routing for the front mech. it's a 92 I'd guess.
91 or 93 and one of those details would be different going by catalogue info but things tended to change as and when so nothings set in stone.

I'd keep it that colour too, it's a bit different but identifiably 'Orange'.

You could be right with the dates.

The guess came from that we both bought Marin’s at the same time and we ‘think’ that was 90 – but perhaps it was 89 (first release of zolatone paint, over size down tube, NON oversize rear stays – they came in 91).

He had the Marin stolen after about a year, bought a rock hopper that he kept for at least a year (we thought nearer 2) and then got the orange so that was the best guess on a date we could come up with !

If someone could help with Marin frame numbers / ages that would help clear it up a bit. My (spinner) forks have 1989 on the head tube but the frame number starts with 90 – is that just coincidence or is it defo a 90 and the forks sat on a shelf for a while ?

Anyhow, back to the orange – can’t remember on the chain stay brace so I will check when I am back down. It has defo not had the cable bridge removed – it never had one :D

Can you age oranges from the frame numbers ? Do orange number them ? It’s a long time since I built it and can’t remember

I know the general opinion would probably be to do it white / orange but I think he is favoring black and as it was bought in black I think that will make his mind up :D

Personally I like them in black :cool: – that’s just me though and I am doing mine in grey and black with all the anodized bits going black for the stealth look. It might not be ‘pure’ retro but if I had the money to do it back in the day its how I would have done it so it’s retro for me ! :LOL:

Had another look last night and the frame number is dead hard to make out as the enamel is really thick around there, I think it is A2270013 – Does that make sence ? :?

Also checked the chain stay brace – there isn’t one :LOL:

Back