My Muddyfox Courier

Moocow

Retro Newbie
New to the forum, but having read a few posts on here I appreciate the help deciding on the bike being right for me from various build threads etc.

Wanted to get back to biking but didn't want to spend a fortune on a new ride, and this caught my eye!
I know it's old and hasn't got the latest spangly bits on it, but to be honest I don't need them :)

Was a bike I long envied when I was younger and absolutely love the colour more than anything.

Cost me a grand total of £25! Same owner for the last 20 years, used weekly and one owner before that. All looks to be original parts wise bar the tyres and brake blocks which is to be expected at this age and the addition of some Tioga bull bar ends.
In surprisingly good condition, a lot of the decals are still very good, looks to have been well looked after - though I am no expert at all.

Will probably just give it a good cleanup and polish rather than anything too extravagant at the moment unless I get serious about it :D

Great purchase, looking forward to seeing what you do with it and hearing about your first ride on it :)

That's a lot of bicycle for £25, £5 cheaper than mine and I thought I'd done well.......
My plan is a dirtdrop stem and dropbar conversion....
props due sweet ride

First bits of work done:

From this

To this:

New chain, rebuilt the rear hub bearings, all the gears now setup correctly and changing lovely. Learning a LOT about cycle mechanics which is completely new to me having only owned brand new bikes before this hasn't been massively necessary to learn the intricacy or acquire the tools to do it.

Need some new brake pads and thinking I will replace the cables as they are pretty tired looking. Why do I get the feeling this is going to turn into more than just a cheap bike to ride around on at weekends??? :D

... because you happen to have found your way onto this site ... and welcome, btw. Lovely bike.

Spoke too soon regarding the gears being nice. Been out for a ride up the hill and it is slipping all over the place when exerting force on the pedals. More work required me thinks.

Moocow":1rqoj2kp said:
Spoke too soon regarding the gears being nice. Been out for a ride up the hill and it is slipping all over the place when exerting force on the pedals. More work required me thinks.

New chain + very old cassette = slipping (usually.. :D )

Best to replace cassette, chain & chainrings at the same time if you can.

Dossa":3x5na128 said:
Moocow":3x5na128 said:

New chain + very old cassette = slipping (usually.. :D )

Best to replace cassette, chain & chainrings at the same time if you can.

Oh I hope not :(
It looks in fairly good condition to my untrained eye, but will have a play first to see if it improves. May just get it on my trainer so that I can add some load to the wheel in the workshop

Back