COOL WALL: "Manitou frameset - Cool or Uncool?"

Is the Manitou frameset cool or uncool?

• Yep - Totally cool! No question about it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are ok. Not really bothered or have an opinion...

• Nope! Hate the darn things! Totally uncool!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
all brands of bikes have had trouble witth frames breaking , but every single manitou we see on here or else seems to be broken .

poor heat treatment after welding?
thing is their forks were always sound enough (or were they?).
mike

Were looking for one this evening :D It of course had the cracked headtube issue. The crack was on the front side. According to my eye and judgement they did a proper job on the repair. I only saw a short, neat weld and according the selling party he bought it with the repair. That was about 6 years ago and according to him it has seen serious ubuse since then. It is still fine. I also noticed the 1/4 headset used 1/8 reducers. I do not know whether they were part of the construction/repair.

Because I want to avoid disappointments I checked all welds. Once you bought an AlMega you know it's smart to check an old alloy bike thoroughly. Unfortunately for me and for the guy (he really didn't know) I discovered a crack was develloping next to the weld that connects the seattube with the toptube. Of course this has implications for what I am willing to pay and what he could reasonably ask. So far I am not sure whether to go for it or not.

- Melvin

Hi Jez,

I think in order to be a bike it is necessary it is able to ride. Some insight in with what I am wrestling:
- how much will take it me in time and money?

...but even more important:
- can it be fixed?
- how long will it take before it stops functioning again?
- how ugly will the repair be?

Think I will use my deserved sleep to consider the impact of all this, possibly gather some information and decide tomorrow.

A friend who always had to have the best (read most expensive) equipment bought one. It pogoed like a good 'un and he had to stop every couple of miles because the seatpost slipped down with the suspension action constantly moving.
Looks supercool in those photos, but because of this experience it is no longer a cool thing.
My 'friend' ruined it for me :x

Last I heard he'd given up mountain biking and gone back to road riding, stashing the mani in the loft. That about sums it up for me.

Mel,

To be quite honest, the manufacturing process and quality of tubing has progressed so quickly in Aluminum that a mass produced Asian frame that sells for $200 wholesale will be more reliable than the old Mani.

I guess the question you have to ask is "Why do I want this frame?"...is it because it is a vintage piece that will warm you heart during the build and each time you look at it thereafter? Or, as you say, if you actually plan on riding it, will you always be holding your breath in concern that a new crack will develope dissapointing you?

As a piece of MTB history, the Manitou frame is a pleasing eye turner...as for ride quality and reliability, it leaves a bit to be desired.

cheers,

rody

Rody is the voice of reason of the forum . without him god knows what we would end up buying . :LOL:

Back