BotM June 2016 - aluminium special *NOMINATIONS PLEASE*

syncrosfan":92pme5pu said:
Doug Bradbury Manitou frames weren't known for cracking. It's only the Answer made ones with the BS 7000 aluminum that do that.

Not really true, Bradburys cracked as well and in the usual places; headtubes, seattubes, the pivot points on the FS bikes, the crowns on the FS bikes, the BB junctions. It's a myth that only Answer bikes cracked, they just cracked more frequently and were more common.

That's true. I have never met an aluminum bike build that can say our/my bikes have never cracked. That probably goes for any bike builder for that matter... well maybe not Grove Innovations... you'd be an artist to break one of those. Anyways, I digress.

Doug's 6061 bikes definitely had a much lower incident rate of cracking. His Easton 7000 series bikes, which is most of 92/93 had a much higher rate. Still not as high as the Answer made one, but up there with Yeti and the like. In total he made about 316 bikes, I have 10-12 cracked ones and have known of several others over the years with repaired cracks.

Anyways, the important thing about Doug and his bikes (similar to Pace) were the innovations he brought to bear on the bikes or maybe just applied in a fashion that stood out at the time. His bikes were in many ways a big departure to what was being made by other builders (geometry) and the industry in general and combined with things like suspension, wide rear stays and BB shells, wide front hubs created unforgettable bikes that still feel modern even today.

"Anyways, the important thing about Doug and his bikes (similar to Pace) were the innovations he brought to bear on the bikes"
I'm still very impressed by his zero-dish rear wheel. Seems like such a good idea, yes it requires a custom extra-wide rear hub but you get a stronger rear wheel. I read that Cannondale is looking into making asymmetrical dropout frames paired to a custom hub to achieve a zero-dish rear wheel. (some 20 plus years later).

syncrosfan":g9bg6e99 said:
" I read that Cannondale is looking into making asymmetrical dropout frames paired to a custom hub to achieve a zero-dish rear wheel. (some 20 plus years later).

And no doubt it will be heralded as being a massive leap in MTB evolution by the marketing team

As Carl has already pointed in not so many words, there are rarely any new ideas, just an awful lot of people with short memories
Who will no doubt lap up the hype before running out to buy this new technology

Re:

And don't forget that Cannondale also 'introduced' a one piece stem/steerer 20 years after Pace:

cannondale_opi_stem.jpg

file.php

I loved my Bradbury FS - chock full of great ideas like the wide BB, wide forks, asymmetric wide rear end, stunning hubs, list goes on. Love my Pace for the same reasons; first aheadset ever, the stem/steerer, even wider BB, rear mounted maguras, hollistic approach to building etc.

The great thing when you buy a pace or a Bradbury is you're not just buying a frame but a package where everything has been carefully put together and has had the interactions of each part considered perfectly.

Well all i can say is that i don't care who invents what or when just as long as it's good quality and looks the part and works as it should ..

Re:

FMJ's 94 Mountain Goat Mud Slinger

Pic from the original owner's archive out front of the shop the day it was built up back in 94. Ridden hard and put away wet thereafter.

MS1_zpsskpwmnow.jpg

Today after a complete restore w. original spec. fork and new M900 group - Grafton Speedcase and King headset substituted.

DSC_0156_zpsux8f8tro.jpg

Back