Sunn Exact Ti stuck seatpost

Some great sounding ideas guys. I have tried a vice and twisting the frame, next will be the application of heat to the seat tube. I think getting out the glued in shim is the way forward and getting a new one machined to fit as the old one is pretty much done in now. Hopefully i can spend some time on it at the end of the week when ive got some time off. Ill keep you all updated on what worked (hopefully).

Re:

Is there no way of saving the shim?

biocandy":3gx3svct said:
Good luck dude :) really hope it works out for you.. would hate to have such a beauty just standing

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Id use heat as a last resort.

If getting the shim out and it is only glued in, can't you CAREFULLY cut it with a hacksaw blade being careful not to score the frame and once you have made enough cuts fold it in on itself?

Otherwise does caustic soda affect titanium? If not pour some in (search on here) and melt out the aluminium sleeve. easy.

Re:

I have had 3 stuck seatposts.. first one - broke a very nice frame.. second one - had almost given up threw the hacksaw into a bush, but swallowed my pride and asked my father for help, 30min later the seatpost was out.. he heated the seattube all right, slightly, could hold it bare handed but not for long, no burnt flesh.. then he "massaged" the tube gently with a polygrip, all the way, all angeles where there was a seatpost inside.. destroyd the paint,but saved the frame.. third one - success even for me :)

These were all steel frames and alloy posts, if it works with titanium as well I do not know

Re:

That is another nice frame suffering from the ravages of misuse and time, hmmm, sad.

From my own experiences of titanium quill stems and steel steerers, it is a swine because it seems to grow together. Titanium is a strangely raw material that in my experience, really clung on!

Genuinely good luck and remember a man called Churchill is reputed to have said, "never give in."

Pure titanium is resistant to corrosion by sodium hydroxide. I'm pretty sure the same is true of most titanium alloys, but I'd check with a better chemist than me before using caustic soda. If that is the case though it may well be the easiest solution if you haven't got this seat post out yet.

So after trying several methods I still havent been able to remove the post and have put it on the back burner for a while whilst I have been working on other projects. I have shown the bike to a local frame builder (neill orrel) and he is sure he can get the post out and also repair tidy up the seatpost (drill out the iny crack and re-shape the seta tube). only dillema now is that I have thrown a few parts on it to and the frame is too small for me.
Looks like im going to be selling the frame if anyone is interested, I will probably give the buyer the option of repairing it them self or I will get my local frame builder to do it first.

Back