My Unicorn (1992 Diamond Back Axis XT) ***Update Page 3***

Re: My Unicorn (1992 Diamond Back Axis XT Content)

Neil":18evqyyf said:
mynchiboy":18evqyyf said:
Cool cool cool, I know now why you're hellbent on finding that Avenir gel saddle... ;)

I really like this era of DB as my first proper MTB was one of them, albeit pretty low end. I'm still hoping that a 1991 Axis Team may crop up one day (only one I've seen was on US Ebay about 4 years ago).

This is looking ace though - the wheels are definitely a top score, love the grey hard ano :)

Edit: the wheels are in fact black maybe!? Damn my cack monitor!

The rims (I've got several) are really a kind of dark browny-grey as oppose to black.

Hmmmnnnnnn, mine are deffo black!!! Mind you that's not to say Avenir didn't do other colours :)

Either way very happy with the build so far, in fact over the moon with it :D

It's like being reunited with an old friend :)

Loving the correctness with the brahma bars!

I've got a 92, as well - but no brahma bars for it - I've thought about getting some similar, but I've run mine with some straight Avenir bars.

I have a 91 Axis, too, that perhaps means a bit more to me - although it was the Apex from 91 I was really keen to get back.

Don't know what it is about bikes from the early 90s, but they feel bombproof whilst not being that heavy. The mid 90s steel frames they used on the equivalent DBs feel different - definitely lighter, but there's something reassuring about these early 90s DBs. They ride well, seem well sorted from a geometry perspective (they tend to encourage a certain stretched out position) and feel like they could go on forever.

Jussa":18ld6pvt said:
Neil":18ld6pvt said:
mynchiboy":18ld6pvt said:
Cool cool cool, I know now why you're hellbent on finding that Avenir gel saddle... ;)

I really like this era of DB as my first proper MTB was one of them, albeit pretty low end. I'm still hoping that a 1991 Axis Team may crop up one day (only one I've seen was on US Ebay about 4 years ago).

This is looking ace though - the wheels are definitely a top score, love the grey hard ano :)

Edit: the wheels are in fact black maybe!? Damn my cack monitor!

The rims (I've got several) are really a kind of dark browny-grey as oppose to black.

Hmmmnnnnnn, mine are deffo black!!! Mind you that's not to say Avenir didn't do other colours :)

Well I've got my original rims from 91 (from an Apex of that year) plus a few I've acquired since. And they're probably described as black - but really there's more of a hint of very dark brown, there, rather than absolute black.

Have a look at this thread, this one and my own thread about my Apex, with a brochure shot. Maybe it's much the same colouring as on other rims described as black anodising - but they're not black like a black saddle is, or even as dark as say black handlebars.

Neil":12l2ksmj said:
Loving the correctness with the brahma bars!

I've got a 92, as well - but no brahma bars for it - I've thought about getting some similar, but I've run mine with some straight Avenir bars.

I have a 91 Axis, too, that perhaps means a bit more to me - although it was the Apex from 91 I was really keen to get back.

Don't know what it is about bikes from the early 90s, but they feel bombproof whilst not being that heavy. The mid 90s steel frames they used on the equivalent DBs feel different - definitely lighter, but there's something reassuring about these early 90s DBs. They ride well, seem well sorted from a geometry perspective (they tend to encourage a certain stretched out position) and feel like they could go on forever.

I Know what your saying :) often these bikes are overlooked, which is shame as after riding many brands my Axis had something special about it, solid, bombproof, robust, no frills, does what it says on the tin approach :)

Rims are apparently a Duronomic finish which your right is not totally black but look very black :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 975

Jussa":1wuccpid said:
Rims are apparently a Duronomic finish which your right is not totally black but look very black :)

Agreed - they probably look black enough all by themselves - but put them next to a black frame or handlebar for context and you'll see what I mean.

I do wonder if they get to look a bit lighter with age / exposure, too.

Small update on my Axis;

Tyres are now on, decided to go for Dart/Smoke combo, its whats fitted on my Orange Clockwork and works really well. The Axis originally came with double Smoke fit. I do have a spare Smoke so may try this later down the line, but for the moment I like riding with the combo of tyres. Big thanks to bikediscount.de for super speedy service.

Sourced a NOS Tioga Avenger Headset from ebay (Bankruptcycles / Cradley Heath) so off came the STX Headset and on went the Tioga, as fitted originally.

Fitted some NOS Tioga Brake Tamers, these were a great period accessory and hide a few small marks on the brake levers.

Ritchey Saddle is fitted just until i can source a tidy Avenir Gel saddle.

NOS Sharksfin will be fitted last once everything is set up and running how i want it.

Pedals - Now these were sold as NOS Avenir, however when they arrived and when un-boxed they were found to be badged up Raleigh? Now a little digging around and it turns out that Raleigh purchased Diamond Back in 1999, It also turns out that Avenir also resides under the roof of Raleigh too, now it all makes sense. Anyway they serve a purpose and if i can source some Avenir badged pedals and clips then great, but if not i am happy to run with these.

Next up-date will be Brakes, Rear Cassette & Cabling up my Axis.

Attachments

• NOS Shark Fin.jpg
    NOS Shark Fin.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 970
  • NOS Brake Tamers.jpg
    NOS Brake Tamers.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 968
  • Axis9.jpg
    Axis9.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 968
  • Axis8.jpg
    Axis8.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 970
  • Axis7.jpg
    Axis7.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 973

I still have the brahmas and mint grips from mine.........

The rest has gone.

Lovely bike

The History Man":bu32qflu said:

The rest has gone.

Lovely bike

Cheers for the comment HM, its a keeper so if you do decide to part out your left over bits please bare us in mind :)

Jussa :D

Jussa":ywy2j9y7 said:
The History Man":ywy2j9y7 said:

The rest has gone.

Lovely bike

Cheers for the comment HM, its a keeper so if you do decide to part out your left over bits please bare us in mind :)

Jussa :D

Jussa

If THM comes to a sticky end at Mayhem I'll tell Mrs THM that
he left them to you in his Retro Bike will.

Btw
The X1 is getting another outing at Mayhem :D

Back