RM Query - Summit's Up!

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Brought the RM frame out as it's next on the list to be built up and noticed for the first time the decals on both sides of the top tube 'CUSTOM MADE'. Decided to cross check the catalogue in the archive whereupon I learnt about the 'Wedge' custom-built option.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... 5cc0206904

Now I had always assumed that this frame was a 'Summit' but the two top decals now have me doubting that. The frame is not coloured up as per the catalogue and has neither 'Summit' decals nor 'Wedge' decals.

Can anyone shed further light??

Mr K

Attachments

• RM Underside.jpg
    RM Underside.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,327
  • RM Stamp.jpg
    RM Stamp.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,327
  • RM Serial.jpg
    RM Serial.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,327
  • RM Custom Made.jpg
    RM Custom Made.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,327
The cable lugs are in the correct place for the summit, paint colour are correct (apart from positioning of the front red). Given the general hand built, subject to change and all that of RM's it could be this.

The wedge in the pictures has things in the wrong place, but it's Lance's and given you can specify everything to do with the frame and colours it could be one of them.

Did I make things clearer :LOL:

P.S. I would call it a wedge, the summit is just a production, pre specified model of the wedge.

Looking at the photos, I'd have said the Wedge was fillet braised rather than tig welded – the joints look more radiused on the wedge pic than the summit.

neill, I think the chainstay length are irrelevant when they can be specified by the rider. But you mean this...

Attachments

• RM st.jpg
    RM st.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,257
Brazen

Nope - I mean the two cable braze ons for the front and rear derailleurs - in the catalogue for the Summit they are well down one of the three (!) downtubes - on mine (and Lance's Wedge) they are positioned near the crown race... If the Summit is a standard production item then I'm warming to my frame being a custom spec, bringing me back to the start of all this, the 'Custom Made' decals on the top tube.

Mr K

I've never been a particular fan of e-stays but this is a lovely frame.

If it's something unusual, and with such considerable patina, surely a respray is out of the question?

Re: Brazen

mrkawasaki":1i6po94f said:
Nope - I mean the two cable braze ons for the front and rear derailleurs - in the catalogue for the Summit they are well down one of the three (!) downtubes - on mine (and Lance's Wedge) they are positioned near the crown race... If the Summit is a standard production item then I'm warming to my frame being a custom spec, bringing me back to the start of all this, the 'Custom Made' decals on the top tube.

Mr K

Mr K, I was not meaning that, I did notice they where different (the cable stops, for a start yours are underneath)
BUT
Look at the pictures I put up...
Look at your gallery (I just did now to find a side picture)
Specifically the 'role model' and your frame only next to it.
The cable stops are the same, but compare the seat tube area to the one's I posted, yours are like the summit.

Custom made it could be still or is that what they called hand built by... or just a decal... or a customised summit or ... Lance just had a custom build wedge to what he felt like on the day ;)

Back