Stuck Stem Wedge

93FireTrail

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I am rebuilding a 1993 Marin Indian Fire Trail. The rebuild appears to be straightforward .... apart from the quill stem wedge, which is stuck in place. It looks slightly rusty, and I have tried penetrating oil, knocking the wedge from underneath (with the bike inverted) ... no joy.

If I knock the wedge with significant force, will I damage the bearings? Sorry, I'm new to this!

Thanks

You'd be better trying to knock it out from the top. Unscrew the quill bolt a bit and hit this with a rubber hammer or use a wooden block and a normal hammer. Hitting it from the bottom is just going to wedge it against the stem if it's still in place.

Is the stem loose or is the whole lot wedged?

As ishaw said, undo the top bolt a few turns, and beat on it. You won't hurt the bearings. Don't hit the stem, just the bolt.

This has happened to me a few times and every time I've taken the stem and the bolt out completely and then used a metal bar and hammer to knock the wedge out from the bottom

Re:

Thanks for all of your replies. The wedge is the only stuck component. I tried to whack it with a soft-headed hammer this afternoon ..... no joy! I may need to get a larger hammer, but I don't want to damage anything :LOL:. I re-fitted the stem and handlebars .... and I could ride the bike "as is" .... but that wedge won't defeat me :twisted:

As said :LOL:

The standard way to remove a quill stem is to undo the bolt till it sits proud, and hit it hard with a hammer to drive down the bolt, which in turn then pushes down the wedge and you can then take out the stem, and not before. As in dont completely remove the bolt then wiggle the stem free leaving the wedge, wedged in. The stem needs to be there.

Use a long bladed flat blade screw driver to scrape away any gunk from under the wedge. You need to go in from below. The gunk,oil dirt gathers there and goes solid. That can stop the wedge from moving.

Re:

Sorry for not being clearer ... I did leave the stem bolt in, and hit that with a rubber-ended hammer. It didn't shift the little s.o.d, and so I will get myself a larger hammer. Thanks for everyone's contributions.

dyna-ti":125nlfx8 said:
As said :LOL:
Use a long bladed flat blade screw driver to scrape away any gunk from under the wedge. You need to go in from below. The gunk,oil dirt gathers there and goes solid. That can stop the wedge from moving.

I'll have a go at that later! Cheers

Back