FAT Chance Titanium

Re:

Thanks all for your feedback :D

@pete
Thanks for your info (I also think 93 were all Fat TIs with blue decals)

The titanium is a tick shorter than Yo Eddy and that makes it much more agile.
Maybe it's just my personal impression but it's the best mountain bike I've ever ridden.

The final pic ;)

fatti63.jpg

Re:

Definitely the most talented with a camera and PS. Eric Rumpf writes the best for sale ads on the web. Some people can teach you a thing or two. Great to hear it's the best bike you have ever ridden. These really are the Daddy :cool:

Re:

Hi guys :D

this is a very rare and probably a custom stem of salsa.

fatti65c4jlw.jpg

fatti666ik39.jpg

First I thought it's a ahead stem with roller, but Salsa has never produced such a ahead stem (or I've never seen it) and it does'nt fit on a 1 inch steerer.

After much research I found out that it's a quill stem with removeable quill. So I had to find a quill for it and I found it.

A comparison with normal salsa quill stem

fatti67uykfy.png

fatti68ekk0p.jpg

My BOI fork has an ahead streerer without thread and with an ahead claw. I shortened the steerer, removed the claw but I did'nt cut threads on it.

How does it work? ..quite simply, the stem takes on the role of lock nut.

fatti69clk4p.jpg

fatti707aj2q.jpg

fatti72shkb2.jpg

It works really fine.

fatti71hfkpq.jpg

;)

Hangers are ok. They work well otherwise ritchey would not use them on the P series bikes. What makes them look wrong imo is the brake cable stuck under the stem creating a horrible line.
My solution is routing the cable over the bar, over the stem and running down smoothly by it´s side to the hanger.. almost the same lines as routing the cable thru a hole inside the stem. As in the picture. I had a control tech before w/ headset hanger and did the same route over the stem except it went down by it´s side. The beauty of cantilevers is in the cable lines.

Attachments

• wickedcabos2.jpg
    wickedcabos2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 211
Re: Re:

Nader":2z7cgq6b said:

That steep angle stem makes the front nervous ime. Evem more so w/ a short 22in hbar. W/ such tall stem i would use a 24in hbar. A lower rise stem makes handling more precise and you can go w/ a short bar.
ymmv of course. handling is about feel.

Nader

You return :D great to know you still have a the passion for old bikes as been said before no ones takes a pic quite like you, although your two white balls above aren’t as artistic as the white cats in you Klein build thread

I’m on the fence with the new stem, perhaps we need a few more pic’s ;)

How do you get the right tension/compression on the headset bearings when you don’t appear to have any mechanical mechanism to apply pressure like you do with a bolt and star nut on a traditional ahead, before nipping up the bolt on the stem

Prodigal Son":nqaqlu2v said:
Hangers are ok. They work well otherwise ritchey would not use them on the P series bikes. What makes them look wrong imo is the brake cable stuck under the stem creating a horrible line.
My solution is routing the cable over the bar, over the stem and running down smoothly by it´s side to the hanger.. almost the same lines as routing the cable thru a hole inside the stem. As in the picture. I had a control tech before w/ headset hanger and did the same route over the stem except it went down by it´s side. The beauty of cantilevers is in the cable lines

At the risk of being rude - this ^ looks like an 1970’s road bike and an major explosion has taken place, there’s no symmetry,
I’m not sure on Naders stem but his cable lines are far cleaner (neat) and flow in unison, his front mech cable is nice and tight - doesn’t sag or drop like in the picture above as it meets the frame - many of mine are like yours, just a bit toooo long. Without being antagonist I prefer the under the bar - far nicer and if you want to go over use a snorkel stem to keep the cable low

Attachments

• 63636316-88AF-4D42-B5EE-438BDA2D845C.jpeg
    63636316-88AF-4D42-B5EE-438BDA2D845C.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 179
  • 1661C42C-BBDF-4F64-B793-882FF4FBA42A.jpeg
    1661C42C-BBDF-4F64-B793-882FF4FBA42A.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 177
Re: Re:

Prodigal Son":4u6v37oh said:
That steep angle stem makes the front nervous ime. Evem more so w/ a short 22in hbar. W/ such tall stem i would use a 24in hbar. A lower rise stem makes handling more precise and you can go w/ a short bar.
ymmv of course. handling is about feel.
Yes hangers look wrong but also work fine.
I know this salsa stem makes the front bit nervous but they were then state of the art. Sure with this stem it's not so sporty anymore but none of us are getting any younger, my dear! ;)

I need this steep angle :D

As always, great pictures!

I have never seen one of those Salsa stems before, interesting idea. Did they make different diameter quills for the stem then? And like above, i how do you tighten the headset? just by hand? or pushing bottom of quill against spacer?

Back