1992 Raleigh DynaTech Diablo LX, FINISHED, and 1st RIDE! !

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
I blame Longun for this with all his Rayleeeeigh-ness of late.

Look at what arrived at Muz Towers yesterday,

Pictured against my neighbours new garage! Shhhhh :LOL: The frame is 20" c-t, with a 23" c-c top tube, and a nice high front end. For once! :LOL:

Thanks to an R/Ber for picking this up, I owe you one matey! ;)

So here's a few photos of what I got.

Despite it's horridness, the saddle was originally . . . .

A Turbomatic! Having carefully removed the sofa stuck on top, I was hoping for the original cover, but alas, it was long gone.

I may try and re-cover this at some point. If I can find the thread on it.
T'was attached to the original Dyna Tech seatpost, a steel affair. So how the f--k did someone manage to bend it! :shock: :facepalm:

There are some nice touches to compensate, like the rear mech and Mavic 231 rims,

XT thumbies, which seem to work well, :cool:

Cheap brake levers will be binned, along with the carbon bars as they're cracked. Described in the ad as ti bars :? Maybe the carbon weave is too subtle! :LOL: :LOL:

The adjustable stem will also be going, surprisingly light, but not my thing. Anyone here want it for cost of postage?

Chainset is M550. Deore? DX? Middle ring is toast, the rest ok. May keep, or may swap for an LX one I have spare

Also has one useable tyre in good nick, no cracks in it,

Some Dia Compe 986 cantis, which I hope will polish up nicely,

Bolted to the original Spinner forks.

Some of it just needs a good clean, strip, re-grease and re-assemble.

Sadly, the bb is proving more difficult.

Not wanting to budge, and with one of those horrid nds plastic cups :evil: :facepalm:
Got the seals out, as you can see, and squirted a lot of WD40 in and letting it soak in. While in the meantime, I'll get a long bolt to hold the bb tool in, tomorrow. Hope it comes out ok. Is Plusgas much different?
Tried a ratchet with an old seatpost on the end for more leverage, but wasn't enough. Don't want to completely mash the teeth on the shells, so I shall wait to get the removal tool firmly locked on before another attempt.

Mike

Re:

A very nice little project there mike...I greatly miss my 1992 splodgy vile yellow Diabolo DX. These ride so well! If you are gonna keep the psycho II tyre on the rear...I have a vvgc matching one you can have for postage for the front? ;)

Re: Re:

Racin'snake":3gybd0q6 said:
A very nice little project there mike...I greatly miss my 1992 splodgy vile yellow Diabolo DX. These ride so well! If you are gonna keep the psycho II tyre on the rear...I have a vvgc matching one you can have for postage for the front? ;)

Fantastic! I'll pm you later mate! Hoping this one won't give me backache!
Hoping to get the bb out tonight.
Longun has just finished a yellow dx, btw

Pity the M535 pedals are missing the face plates . So they're toast too I guess
Also on the lookout for some blue leather for the saddle!

Matching shell suit anyone? :LOL:

Mike

Re:

Nice. I can sort you out with a set of Ritchey bars and a chrome stem at Mayhem to replace the existing items fitted. Let me know what else you need, I have a Smoke or 3x Kona A drive tyres. I think the only levers I have are v-brake unless you need sti units?

Re:

Cheers Mike!

I'm ok for bars and stem thanks. But I will need a 26.4 seatpost, and some brake levers that go with the Dia Compe 986 brakes. Are there 986 levers?
Got the bottom bracket out in the last half hour. Putting all my weight on the leverage I sorted out

Big relief! :cool:

Mike

Re: 1992 Raleigh Diablo LX

nice to here its out buddy, i lasted 2 mins on mine and thought sod it haha. ive some diacompe levers you can have for postage if you like them, ill try find a pic.

Re: 1992 Raleigh Diablo LX

the ones in the middle, would look really nice polished up :)

Re:

You should have seen the frame flexing as I put my weight through it! :shock:

I thought it was in for good mate :( and fcuked as I'd messed about with it

Carefully cut out the plastic cup with a hacksaw blade, cutting a wedge out, without buggering up the threads in the frame.

Yes, interested in the levers dude! :cool:

Edit, oh yes, they'd be cool Mr L!

I'll pm you when I get on the laptop ;)

Back