Rock Shox Judy XC/FSX upgrade to 80mm, how?

Uuh! Nice.
For the springs you might try citrus acid and hot water:

Let it sit for a few hours, then flush with clear water, dry it thorowly, then oil or paint immediately after. Or else the rust will be back immediately.

okay, thx! i'll try that.

can anyone tell me the weight of the springs i have? i'm guessing the long ones might be soft as i believe the SL came off a small frame. but of course that's not an accurate way to conclude that.

also, i know if i want to upgrade to 75/80mm, i need a longer shaft/rod for the dummy leg. is that true for the cartridge as well? ie. is it only a matter of it having a longer shaft/rod, but the volume/length of the cartridge itself remains the same, or the unit bigger as well? it would be great if i could upgrade the Gem cart so i can use it with longer travel.

Re:

Only the very old dampers had a spacer iirc that may be altered. But no it the whole lot. It has further to move through. I.e. more travel, unlike spring which just need to compress a but more as there was space left.

Red is often medium, but annoyingly the range altered through the years. I did put a post up I think some years back with the colour to type for stuff. But the docs should have it too. Still if it is one long spring it could be newer hydocoil or third party which are probably diffent anyway.

According to the charts you should be running yellow/red to red/red. Red/black if you ride aggressively and want a firmer feel. It's not a problem to go +/- 1 spring weight in either leg. That's the nice part about TypeII. You can mix weights in the individual stack to run the same weight in both legs. You have to match up the dummy rod and cartridge with the same length. Your GEM is 60mm. That's locked in. There's no way to change it. Risse made an 80 as well (I have one in one of my DHs).

FluffyChicken":2hjh6j7y said:
Still if it is one long spring it could be newer hydocoil or third party which are probably diffent anyway.

There are 2 types of Hydrocoil springs. Both longer, and taper wound at the top.

Re:

165 & 230mm iirc, don't remember the taper but that's not a problem.

Just seen this pic above the type2
Red speedspring/eibach are medium so 170 to 200 ish

And the green type2 top spring is firm.

List here if you need it in future,

Type 2
Spring Rate Adjusters
Soft = Beige
Medium = Black
Hard = Grey

Springs
Soft = Red
Medium = Yellow
Firm = Green
Extra Firm = Purple

Type 3
Primary (top) and Secondary (bottom) spring colours
63/80mm
Xtra Soft = silver
Soft = Yellow
Medium = Red
Firm = Black

can i use the two long springs from Judy SL and put them into the FSX in place of what's in there? or do i need to find replacement elastomers for the two short red dead ones that were sitting on top of those springs? or can i add the two green springs in their place?

trying to see if i can just re-use what i have on hand. :)

You can use whatever spring fits the fsx - with some resonable amount of preload. A combination of two springs is also possible. But bear in mind what happens when the fork tops out. For this case I always use a thin piece of elastomere at the bottom for the "last bit of flex".
And I always use some rubber sleeve (old inner tube, heat shrink sleeve...) over the springs to prevent them scratching and dingdonging against the stantion tubes.

Re:

okay reviving this thread to gather additional help.

so i picked up two additional Judy forks as spares. one came with a Total Air cartridge, but sadly only in one leg :?, the other had a dummy rod and some worn elastomers. dummy rod measures a little over 210mm in length (as seen at the top).

second fork had no elastomers or springs but had two cartridges still installed. the left leg is the 2nd in the photo and has a Judy sticker on it. the other leg had a similar cartridge (instead of a dummy rod) but slightly darker red anodizing on it without any markings on it. both were about 220mm in length. are these two cartridges the same?

can i assume that the dummy rod is for around 70-75mm of travel and the two red damper cartridges for a fork having 80mm of travel?

is there a reason why i found the two red cartridges in the one fork? is there any advantages/disadvantages for doing so?

Attachments

• DSC05342.JPG
    DSC05342.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 500
Iirc there were "downhill" versions with two dampeners. But I haven't seen one yet. Ot maybe its diy...

Latest posts

Back