Explosif updated

IbocProSX":1v78liff said:
Rally_cat":1v78liff said:
On another note I believe this bike has a lot of the original components, all being xtr, an option for the 1992 explosif pro, even the headset.
The stem even looks correct for 92 explosif pro.
The catalogue I looked up for 92 shows an all black Explosif pro including a black stem and a Suntour XC gruppo. Do you have another one?
But if you look elsewhere in the 92 catalogue, another option for the Explosif Pro alongside XTR was the 'titanium luxury package'. So the bike may originally have had a ti O-Beam and P2s, as well as that ti Velocity. It's tempting to wonder whether, a few years later, the owner may have traded in his ti P2 for that purple Marzocchi. And yet now, 15 years on, those ti P2s are worth many times more than the Marzocchis that he paid extra for!

I rather think you both have Explosif Pros, but I don't think we can be certain of the year without more detailed analysis of the frame sizes. Except of course that if your bike has a 90 serial number, then it is definitely a 91 model.

My frame is going to be in Vancouver to be professionally painted and decalled in the next couple months by people who know these things better than I. I'll ask some questions about it.

IbocProSX, sorry to sidetrack your thread bud. It appears you have a combo cage bottle and patch kit holder, do you have either of the items with the bike? That would be sweet.

The PO told me about the combo bottle cage, and no, alas, he diodn't have the box or either of the tire levers.

Any point in placing a wanted add, or is this in the "rocking horse poo" class?

For the "group ride" with fellow retrobiker Messiah yesterday the green Explosif got it's shakedown ride. The bike didn't need much:

- Replaced 3 missing spokes and nipples in the wheels
- Tensioned and trued the wheels (took out 4mm lateral/2mm vertical)
- Adjusted the canti brakes tight against the now true wheels
- Tuned the gears, front shifter indexing is gone so fixed the middle ring
- Changed the noname rear tire for a Zmax 2.1

So lube the chain, put air in the tires and off we go!! The loop we did was the 24hour race track from 3 weeks ago. It has some nice singletraks trough woods, sandy heather plains, a few ditches plus 4 times up and down a former landfill now turned "recreational area".

The 1 x 7 gearing with the 34 chain ring worked out fine. The front end washed out too easily in the sandy tracks though, which I really felt let the side down. One of this bikes' strengths should be the sharp steering geometry. It got a little better when I let some air out of the front tire but I think maybe the front needs lowering to get more weight on the front end.

But the again it could be I'm not adapting to the whole concept and simply try to ride it as if it were my Heckler, where I feel I'm more centred in the bike.

BTW it was a pleasure to be ridin' and swapping stories with Messiah. If I ever ride with him on trails that he knows I'm sure he'll show me a clean pair of heels though. I need to get out on the trails more, much more

Enjoy!!

I agree it looks not quite right with the stem at maximum height, seems to contradict the reasoning behind a long stem somehow.

And I did use it, and will do again.

Idea is to fix the problems first and adjust it until it rides as it should. And likely I need to adjust to it as well. Patina is nice, but some area's really need the paint restored to stop them from really deteriorating, notably the fork/stem. The saddle looks terrible btw, but was nice and comfy, not bad at all.

I've got myself a large can of Brunox corrosion inhibitor to give it an intermediate layer of protection first. Next I'll open up the left hand triggers to see if I can fix the uindexing and lower the stem. And I've got a set of DX thumbies in the spares box if the triggers fail.

Enjoy!!

Back