When is a Klein not a "real" Klein?

jps

Retro Newbie
Looking on the web, there seems to be some confusion over when Trek purshased Klein - i've seen it quoted as 96, 99 and 2000. Which is correct? Also, was there a period when Trek owned Klein, but production was in the original Klein workshops? Is a 98 ( I think) Attitude in Jamaica Sunset a Klein Klein or a Trek Klein?

Rule of thumb: look at the headset. If it's the oversized Klein with press-fit bearings, it's a Klein for sure. I had a '99 Adroit and it was the real thing. Some Attitude and Pulse models were made by klein but I am not sure how you can tell

Is it only the adroit that had the oversize headset? I thought the attitude did as well - in the early years anyway.

i think both had the oversize headset.
some other early models like the rascal had a 1" headset.

novekili":f4ao7jfq said:
Rule of thumb: look at the headset. If it's the oversized Klein with press-fit bearings, it's a Klein for sure. I had a '99 Adroit and it was the real thing. Some Attitude and Pulse models were made by klein but I am not sure how you can tell

trek deffo purchased klein before 99.

gaf16":175m0a9m said:
i think both had the oversize headset.
some other early models like the rascal had a 1" headset.

pinnacle & fervor also had 1in. not sure on the waaay rare klein agile ;)

scant said:
novekili said:

trek deffo purchased klein before 99.

It did, but the Adroit was still made in Klein Factory, differently from other models. Attitudes did have the oversized headset but not after 98

jps":1922xgtl said:
Looking on the web, there seems to be some confusion over when Trek purshased Klein

The 1995 models were the last Klein (as independent) year.

Klein snobs (which I hate to say I've become), only care about 1995 or older builds :)

holden":y1422d29 said:
jps":y1422d29 said:
Looking on the web, there seems to be some confusion over when Trek purshased Klein

The 1995 models were the last Klein (as independent) year.

Klein snobs (which I hate to say I've become), only care about 1995 or older builds :)

I agree, however the irony is that the later trek builds didnt have anything like the usual older klein crack related problems.

The attitudes from aourn 99, had problems cracking around the replaceable rear facing dropout. :cry:

Latest posts

Back