Laptop advice please

thecannibal

Retro Guru
Unfortunately I need to get a new laptop for uni as my old one has died. I know nothing of these computer things so could do with some advice/recommendations.

I'll be using it for word processing, interweb use, playing music, doing stuff with photos and watching movies. Don't need it for games or anything. I would like something small and lightish (no special docks or overly small screens though) but sturdy (metal case?). Also as ethical a company as possible would be good - so not IBM for a start - but I'm not too keen on macs. And finally something pretty would be nice.

I don't really have a budget in mind as I've no idea how much these things cost, so recommendations at several price points would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

Toshiba came out top in some reliability survey recently and mines been great for past 18months. Dell are pretty good too

Always take cash...and no more than you are willing to spend, remember the champagne will be expensive if you want to 'large' it.
Never take or use your debit/credit cards...1. Some explaining to do if the Mrs sees the statement, and 2. You never know what they will put on your card until you get the statement and 3. You could get carried away awash with hot totty and champagne...I know....erm...happened to a friend of mine.

Oh......that kind of laptop :oops:

:LOL:

Recently I've found the deals Dell are doing to be as good as it gets. They have a cycle of offers they give, wait for one with free delivery and double memory, then you can get a nice laptop for about £350-£400

Have a look at the Inspiron 1525, its quite nice while still being an entry level laptop and fairly modest on the wallet

oh, and remember that if you want to do word processing/spreadsheets Microsoft office can be eeeexpensive!!! Unless you want to use something free like OpenOffice... or a more dodgy 'free' package ;)

Always take cash...and no more than you are willing to spend, remember the champagne will be expensive if you want to 'large' it.
Never take or use your debit/credit cards...1. Some explaining to do if the Mrs sees the statement, and 2. You never know what they will put on your card until you get the statement and 3. You could get carried away awash with hot totty and champagne...I know....erm...happened to a friend of mine

Totally agree, I did the same a few years ago only needed a simple laptop and came out spending over £1200 for something that was way more than I needed with extras and the rest of it :oops:

acer are doing some fab mini laptops from 198 quid onwards at tescos......those dudy little ones with 12 inch wide screens ect.had a poke the other day .....very nice.

The 'net books' are ok but are very small. Not really to good for Uni imho as you need to see more for doing word processing.

Dell cheap inspiron (1525 ?) keeps getting very good reviews and keeps coming out on top or only just second (often to Samsungs).

Tesco's (and now PC World) sell them, but compare them to Dell itself.

As you are a student, get it with no OS and no Office.

Then buy Vista via the University/School offers (Microsoft Student Select Scheme, or the Uni may do deals itself) and Office will be there to soon.

Also don't bother with updating RAM, Harddrive as it's more likely cheaper to buy it elsewhere, take out what you've got, use the now spare harddrive as an external one.

Thanks for all your help, guys. So it looks like maybe Dell, Toshiba or Samsung. Unless I can be convinced to get a Mac. I was thinking I'd get Office through uni - I think it makes it £85 (Bill, like Ronald et al, likes to get 'em hooked young).

Anywhere that's not tesco that's good to buy from? A shop in Bristol?

open office.org is a free office software that does all the things that m.office does and its a lot smaller and can be d.loaded ...did i mention its free.ps give me your address and i can either send you a disk with it on or i could send you a "back up" of m.office 2003 self extracting file if you want. :D

Back