Fapping Tyres

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As summer is well and truley over I decided to change my tyres on my Caldera over from semi slicks to some Porc re issues.

Now I have been riding for the best part of 20 years in some form or another (I'm 27) and know how to change a tyre. But funk me............

This was the result of trying to fit the front tyre.....the levers are Park tools:

P1010003-1.jpg

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The rear tyre had to be fitted with this:

P1010004-2.jpg

Much easier - doubt Mrs LMTTM would see it like that :roll: :LOL:

Is it just me or have other folk experienced surch frustration?

I can absolutley add that this was not ham fisted Mark - he's reserved for special occassions! :LOL: :LOL:

Finished product;

P1010005-2.jpg

You're not alone, I have one pair of slicks are an absolute arse to fit. Oddly enough one is worse than the other and I have one rim it just won't go on without serious effort, so I avoid that combination if I can.

Guess it shows that even tiny variations in manufacturing tolerances can make huge differences.

I've been using dessert spoons as tyre levers since I was about 8 or 9 when at home, it saves busted plastic ones and honestly, in 30 years I've never found a purpose made tool that works as well. :D

cchris2lou":3pjp8vgc said:
washing up liquid can help a bit .

Yup, works a treat ;)

I wrecked 3 levers and 2 MILK LEVERS with some Schwarble tyres recently! 1hr to change 2 tyres :evil:

without wanting to delve into the murky depths of a tyre lever conversation...

...i think park tyre levers are rubbish.

i use those old tricolor ones you got in bike shops in the 80's - much better.

retro down to the tyre levers.

:D

The steel Park workshop items are excellent for really tough combinations. There's also a trick using a vice - not ideal for out on the trail/road though...

Can't remember the porcs being that tight when i fitted them :?
I did recently end with a huge blister on my thumb fitted some tyres to some stupidly tight rim though.

(i notice in your frustration, you didn't line up logos/valves) :LOL:

letmetalktomark":3h6ewyjl said:
P20":3h6ewyjl said:
(i notice in your frustration, you didn't line up logos/valves) :LOL:

They are.....runs down stairs to check........ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Rim sticker and tyre decal.
Lol. Fairs do's. What wheels are they?

Back