89/90 Saracen Trekker Comp

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Picked this up the other week and have done not that much to it but clean it up and replace a few of the more worn parts [drivetrain & cables mainly]. Reverted it back to thumbies and stuck some nice period tyres on him :cool: Whipped it around Richmond Park last night before a coupla pints by the river; I used to own one of these BITD and it was great to be re-united.. And them brakes.. :twisted:

Big thanks to retrobikeguy :cool:

Frame: 89/90 Saracen Trekker Comp Tange MTB
Fork: Cro-Mo

Headset: Deore II
Stem: Saracen
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite
Grips: Ritchey WCS Foam
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Deore XT II U-Brake in.c U-II Booster
Brake Pads: Aztec
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore XT II 2 Finger SLR

Shifters: Deore II 7sp Thumbshifters
Front Derailleur: Deore II
Rear Derailleur: Deore II
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: HG90
Chain: HG91
Cranks: Deore II
Chainrings: Deore II Biopace
Bottom Bracket: Deore II

Rims: Wolber AT18
Hubs: Deore DX
Tyres: Tioga Farmer John's Cousin

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Saracen

2877818259_5acd7c696c_o_d.jpg

2877818485_931197c4c1_o_d.jpg

More Saracens around of late. Out of interest, what is the rear dropout spacing? Isn't that the bike the Crains (?) did a lot of their expeditions on?

Absolutely loving this bike.Nick Crane and his cousin,did use Saracens to climb kilimanjaro and to cross the Atlas mountains.remember watching a tv programe about the Atlas trip in 89 i think,and there are some pics. of the kilimanjaro trip in Richards Ultimate Bicycle Book from 1992,which i have had from new and is full of retro stuff,more saracens on here pleasse. :D :D

Thanks for the comments guys :)

It really was great to bring back good memories [ones that didn't involved U-Brake clogging mud ;) ], although the handling was a little sharper than I'm used to! 71/74, 22"ish TT, 135mm stem with 1.85" fork rake made it quite twitchy at speed :LOL:

Rear spacing is 135mm Iwasgoodonce

Old Saracens rule :cool:

I would have snapped this one up if it wasnt for my Trekker project at the time, I love the fact that it has the unusual dual U brakes and also remember wanting of these back in the day.

Do the brakes work well ? and are they any better than std canti's ? I always liked U brakes in the dry.

I took the trekker for a proper blast at the weekend and it rides like a dream.

Back