Rear mechs ... hot cakes .... wheels ...cold sick

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

Why is it that rear mechs sell like hot cakes yet no-one seems to want to buy wheels?

I'm having a bit of a clear out on eBay and most stuff is sold but wheels just seem to not sell.

Every bike needs wheels ... just like they need rear mechs yet they never seem so sell for any sort of value.

Why is that? Who can ride a bike without wheels?

I can't comment on your wheels of course, but of the ones I have bought on eBay a few have been *cough* of variable quality...unreported dings, severely worn rims, rumbly hubs.

Re:

We can all have a few rear mechs in the spares draw / display cabinet, wheels are more difficult to store!!

Wheels are hard to post so that is an issue ... but I am almost getting to the point to cutting the hubs out and slinging the rims which would be a crime.

rear mechs usually cheaper than wheels and if your upgrading your bike on a budget wheels are probably the last thing you do as they work so why replace them. I do know that upgraded wheels more than likely give you better value for your money but not everyone knows this and if your like me you've already got too many wheels… saying that I need to find another rear :face palm:

You are right,I recently got an XTR wheelset for £65 posted and would've happily paid £150 for them.The seller sold the entire groupset but found it impossible to sell the wheels so he stuck a stupidly low price on them to get rid.As already said,buyers are cagey about condition and sellers worry about postage issues.

Re:

I could do with some wheels for a project, but am reluctant to buy 2nd hand because
1. Don't know about remaining rim life
2. How old are they? how many miles? ridden by a lightweight or a tub of lard? In other words, how fatigued are they
3. Then there is bearing condition to consider also
4. Part of a project sometimes includes the wheelbuilding fun

You buy depending on the sellers description. What he might consider to be "good and straight with plenty of life left", to me might mean "not risking my life on those rims and ready for a rebuild". A big hassle to send back if youre not happy. A mech goes in a small box and can be returned.

I've got some hubs, just need to source some new, but old style rims and spokes and will build them myself.

Yes wheels are tricky to sell unless their new and gauranteed to arrive without getting damaged by the courier as i found out the last time i got a wheel through the post it had been knocked out of true which is no big deal if your okay at truing them which unfortunately i'm not and as all ready mentioned rim life is always a worry unless the wheels have been hardley used ..

Re:

That's funny, I can't find any wheels, yet it seems everyone has too many wheels and can't get rid of them, I even posted on here for some!

I've got a rear mech :D

Form an orderly queue, please...

Back