Sun (Birmingham) Tandem

Rare Old Bear

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I was hoping for a little help dating an old Sun Tandem frame that I'm currently getting back on the road. I've spent a fair bit of time trawling these forums, and the wider internet, with little luck, so any assistance would be appreciated.

It had a 'Sun' transfers on the frame and a transfer style head badge on the front with 'Sun Birmingham' which I understand dates it before the Raleigh takeover. There are two serial numbers on the rear left drop outs, which are 'T9' and '69473.' I've seen people on here date similar frames from the serial numbers, but I've not managed to work out how to decipher this one.

I'll try and upload a photo of the bike as it was when I got it. As you can see it's been pieced together with a fairly random collection of parts, and it's now stripped down to the frame on my kitchen floor.

Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 445
Re:

Looking at the picture it looks different to any Sun tandem that i have seen . ie not a clip type head set and the twin bracing tubes . Has it been repainted ?

Try Peter Cowan {Vcc} the marque enthusiast he has a good knowledge of the Brand .

There are 3 Sun tandems on e bay at the moment . Your frame looks a lot more modern in its design.

Try here for more info.
http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/

Re:

Thanks,

Unfortunately I don't know if it's been repainted. I've attached a photo of the old head badge with the 'Birmingham' text, but it certainly doesn't match any of the other Sun Tandems I've turned up through internet searches, so it's left me scratching my head, especially the twin bracing.

It's possible it was repainted a few years ago and Sun transfers were added to help it sell, but I'm afraid I don't have that history. I bought it cheap off ebay for a one off event, but since then my wife and I have enjoyed using it so I've decided to put some energy into restoring it.

Can Peter, or anyone else, shed some light?

Attachments

• IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2630.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 407
Re:

This is getting tricky!

I've trawled through old Sun catalogues from the 20s to 60s, and none of the tandems I've turned up have the lateral struts this one has. I did find a picture of a very similar frame, stripped down to steel, in another forum, with a comment from someone that 'it looks like an old Sun tandem I once owned,' but that's about it!

If anyone can shed any light, or can suggest a different line of enquiry, it would be very much appreciated.

Back