GT Xizang Serial number thread

My Xizang has no serial number on it. I got the frame of a friend in 2000 who owns a bike ship in Chicago, who got it from the local GT wholesaler when they had a clearance sale. The only identification on the frame was 3 letters (initials?) written in felt tip pen on the top tube. My friend seemed to think it was an un-issued team frame.

Another thing that is different with this frame is the brake bosses. They take a U brake stud but are in the right place for cantis (U brake studs have a different thread and are thicker so a canti/ V brake won’t fit on them). I got a set made up with U brake thread with the thinner and longer canti stud, which has worked perfect with maguras ever since.

I too had one about 4-5 months back that was mint, very few miles and had no serial number on it. LQQK did you look under the bottom bracket cable guide? I've had a couple that where the serial number was totally hidden underneath it.

gm1230126":2thyr19m said:
I too had one about 4-5 months back that was mint, very few miles and had no serial number on it. LQQK did you look under the bottom bracket cable guide? I've had a couple that where the serial number was totally hidden underneath it.

Out of curiosity I just took the bottom bracket cable guide off, no serial number there.

Mine seems a little different from the others.
96 I guess?
J
DSC02865.jpg

GaryTurner":3uh6mml3 said:
how many color of xizang stickers ?
(original GT)

these at least
1991-92
-yellow (GT All Terra on toptube, XIZANG LE titanium on downtube)
-yellow/black (all GT terra on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-white/black/orange (all GT terra on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-white/blue/yellow (all GT terra on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-yellow/black/red (GT on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-white/blue/black (GT on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-yellow/red/white?/black (GT on downtube, Xizang on toptube)

Archangel":1l4mrnlm said:
GaryTurner":1l4mrnlm said:
how many color of xizang stickers ?
(original GT)

these at least
1991-92
-yellow (GT All Terra on toptube, XIZANG LE titanium on downtube)
-yellow/black (all GT terra on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-white/black/orange (all GT terra on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-white/blue/yellow (all GT terra on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-yellow/black/red (GT on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-white/blue/black (GT on downtube, Xizang on toptube)
-yellow/red/white?/black (GT on downtube, Xizang on toptube)

You forgot the 99 frame that was painted white with the red and blue decals (GT on the downtube..even under the downtube and Xizang on the top tube.

Have even seen a 99 Xizang that was Yellow and Blue like many of the Zaskar LE's and Zaskar Teams. That also had GT on the downtube and Xizang on the top tube.

Back