Best brake block's for Camapgnolo record/super record brakes

PerB

Old School Hero
I need to replace the brake blocks on a couple of my Camapgnolo Nuovo Record/Super record brakes. I have seen red and black Kool Stop and original Campagnolo on the market.

Is anything else available?

What is the best?

I am running anodized alloy rims on most of the bikes, but on one I have natural aluminium rims. I am riding mostly in dry weather condition.

I don't know what other people have found but I tried Kool Stop black on my Super Record brakes and they squealed so loud it made my ears hurt.
Also, the noise/vibration actually made the quick release unwind as I braked which was quite scary! I went back to Campagnolo ones straightaway.

That was on Mavic GL330 rims which are anodized.

Mark.

Campagnolo brakes were designed with thicker cables. If you use original Campagnolo cables, then use "FRESH" Campagnolo pads. OEM pads that are 30 years old are NOT a good idea. They must be freshly made pads (Campagnolo still sells them).

Re: Re:

fleshtuxedo":2b640hl1 said:
That's interesting CdM, what is it about thicker cables that necessitates new blocks?

Cheers
FT

Old pads harden considerably and the stiffer cables make the combination even worse.

Re:

The new blocks are supposed to be a 'modern compound', does that mean they're softer than the originals were when new?

yesterday I mounted the new brake blocks, but I am still not overly impressed with the braking, I am running a newly built wheel-set with NOS Mavic GP4 hard anodized rims now.
I might give the new blocks some time to bed in properly before I give the final verdict.

Latest posts

Back