NOVEMBER 1ST. Forest of dean ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work Dave, I'm in for sure!

I reckon we want a ride of 2.5 to 3 hours (although that includes stops for rider/bike mechanicals and photos) followed by lunch and then another two hours or so to finish. If the lunch stop is actually the start or allows a short cut back for those whose pass out or bikes/bodies won't allow more that would be ideal.

The above will of course depend on who comes and the type of terrain and I'm happy to meet up with the guide in advance to guage the latter (and for him to guage the former!), perhaps attempt to join one of the 38 mile rides and see how I manage? The guide does realise that we are on old bikes?

Ability wise I'll put myself down as reasonably fit but completely lacking in technical skills (although I rule on fire road climbs. Well, smooth ones).

I've got the time off work and have submitted a leave pass with the other half (awaiting clearance). So it's looking good for me.

As requested my preference is.

-2 loops (1x late morning of say 2.5hrs and one after lunch of say 1.5hrs).
-Total distance of about 20 miles (pending terrain).
-Nice steady pace nothing stupid.
-A few challenges like a hill climb (aka Mr. K's Peaks meet).
-Plenty of stops to chat and allow me and the other slower riders to catch up.
-Advice on accomadation also please and a map of the proposed area.

Make sure he takes you to the trails behind pedal a bike away - there are some awsome descents there - and if he knows it, find Jacobs Ladder :D

Terrain can be either uber easy, or uber hard, not too much inbetween, but you should have a great day out :)

Plenty of nice single track, but you need to hunt for it :roll:

Forest of Dean Ride 1st November SIGN UP!

Ok, we've been in touch with the guide (who seems to be a very nice chap), more details to follow nearer the time but the outline below will give you some idea of what to expect:

Ride for 2.5 to 3 hours on quiet trails where we are highly unlikely to see any other riders, pub lunch at The Rising Sun then another two hours to finish. Timings include stops for photos, for the group to come back together etc. and I suspect (but don't know) that there will be a short cut back on the road after lunch for those that need to get away early or have a mechanical. Route will be suitable for ss if you want to go that way.

So far I think we've got:

Daj
Myself
Sinnett177
Russell
Heathy
Iwasgoodonce

It would be very helpful if anyone else could confirm if you're planning to come (I'll update here) as group size will determine the exact route.

Ed, my leave pass has been signed, so all is good here. Route, timings etc, sound spot on to me. Just need a few more riders, can we make this a sticky and perhaps advertise on the home page to get interest?

sinnett177":2xd7p5hm said:
Ed, my leave pass has been signed, so all is good here. Route, timings etc, sound spot on to me. Just need a few more riders, can we make this a sticky and perhaps advertise on the home page to get interest?

Great that you're in, I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't think that this is intended to be of the scale of the Peaks Meet although will try to generate a bit more interest even though intimate can be good (so my wife tells me, what does she know?). Perhaps chat about this in Settle on Saturday?

Add my name to the list ;) Never one to pass up a meet.

Just a thought :idea: Will this pub allow muddy riders in for lunch :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back