** Whyte PRST-4 **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
i recently traded my USE SUB fork for this PRST-4 frame from GSB on here

i've had one of these before, but never actually rode it in anger before i sold it (to GSB on here!!) :facepalm:

this isn't the one i sold him, it's another he had stashed away! :D

anyway, a few night ago he was asking me if i'd made any progress with the build...... i hadn't :oops:

so, i've stolen some parts from my Alves and some i had awaiting builds, and this is the result, still needs cranks, BB, mechs and a shifter, but other than that it's together!

really looking forward to getting it completed and testing out on a proper ride soon :cool:

Attachments

• prst4.jpg
    prst4.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 4,299
  • prst3.jpg
    prst3.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 4,296
  • prst2.jpg
    prst2.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 4,295
  • prst1.jpg
    prst1.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 4,299
Funny looking things these.
There was recently an article on bike radar or similar discussing the MTB tech that didn't make it and this was one of them.
Interested to hear how you think it rides.

Re:

this is my third..... :facepalm:

had a PRST-1 and a 4 previously, both sold on here, and i love how they ride!

frames are remarkably light, and fork travel is interesting, it rides over kerbs with uncanny ease!

it's also great watching the top link bobbing up and down in front of you as the suspension does its thing!

the rear was on a few Whyte bikes, albeit without the fancy axle bobbins, but the front is where the novelty lies! some folks ran them with 24 inch front wheels or riser bars upside down..... :facepalm:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 4,218
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 4,218
Looking good Mike,

The list of people who run 24" wheels at the front include Adrian Ward, who designed it with Jon Whyte, so there must be something in it. But I'm quite happy with the way that a more modern platform damped shocks give a little more control over the front end without it looking weird(er).

Re: Re:

velofrog":35xom08k said:
thanks Martin! :cool:

how's your PRST-1 coming along?

you are welcome Mike :D

In general I finished the bike, but still playing arround with frontsetup (angle of stem and preload of coil) Maybe a platform damper will be the solution in the end. :roll:

I can post a pic. here if you wish :)

Re:

Arrghhhh!!!! My Eyes!!! My Eyes!!!

:LOL:

Definitely a "Unique" design. As FFTC said, think it was a GMBN clip I saw on YouTube where they looked at the top ten weirdest bike designs of all time, and the PRST frame was in there...

Back