Riding fixed - all it is cracked up to be?

thanks for the pat on the back. i'm in the USA, so in my parlance a 'century' is 100 miles and a 'metric century' is 100k/~62 miles. 'back-to-back' is one century, two days in a row...not 200mi in a single ride!

as i said, it was entirely flat, well-supported, and the weather was good (a bit hot)...water/snack rest stops every 15-20mi, one with lunch 1/2 way, lots of company. i don't think i would have attempted it if the conditions were not so ideal (there were 30/75/100mi routes offered both days).

got on with the hotshoes on day 1 and finished with a 19.7mph average speed (5:07). day 2 was much more social, 17.7 / 5:47. we had a long paceline (15+ riders) for much of it...one of them had panniers w/batteries/ipod/small speakers and was playing some up-tempo motivational tunes. another had a wooden train whistle that he'd blow every time our 'train' would approach/overtake slower riders. oh, and a couple pretty women...i'll take *that* wheel, thanks. much easier to go the distance under these circumstances!

oh...and free beer after day 1 (one sponsor was a local brewer)!

"I were right about that saddle"

- Yellow Pages Ad from many moons ago...kid wants racing bike for Christmas, Dad rubbishes the idea including the narrow saddle, but secretly gets son a bike using Yellow Pages and...gasp!...the telephone (no internet in them days). As Dad watches from the window, the fruit of his loins pedals away on his new steed and the Dad's voiceover says "I were right about that saddle".

I like Mars bars.

dookie":2d7qnzvb said:
thanks for the pat on the back. i'm in the USA, so in my parlance a 'century' is 100 miles and a 'metric century' is 100k/~62 miles. 'back-to-back' is one century, two days in a row...not 200mi in a single ride!

100 miles on consecutive days is impressive, flat or not - the lure of food every hour, attractive riding companions and free beer must help a bit though.

Sadly I have only managed 2 hours at most as it is undulating around here to say the least plus I get bounced around on the dodgy road surfaces, some of which are only as smooth as farm tracks (and even with 32c tyres at modest pressure it does get a bit uncomfortable after a while). Still a good session for the legs and makes a nice alternative to a geared bike.

A friend of mine rode this http://www.cyclosportives.co.uk/epicRoute.htm fixed last year and got round in Gold standard time. As you can see from the route profile there is precious little flat and how on earth he got down let alone up the 20% and 25% sections I have no idea. Almost all on narrow country lanes with poor to middling surfaces, an awesome achievement especially as he could still walk at the end.

I remember an article about this bloke who raced on a fixie in a point to point XC race. A fellow competitor upon studying his steed looked at him and in all seriousness asked him " Are you on glue ?".

With good brakes and good muscular control, off road descents are possible as long as you keep the speed down to about walking pace. Fat tyres, high Bottom Bracket also help :D

You will be on drugs (painkillers) after stacking it when you get it wrong which you will sooner or later !!!!!!!!!

Back