1988 Stumpjumper Epic (former Cindy Whitehead Frame)

Re: 1989 Stumpjumper Epic

Fascinating reading! Great research :-D

That is a great addition and background story if it is her bike!
You have to check the frame for cracks now ;-)

Re:

That's just awesome news mate and i can't imagine that frame being any one elses but Cindy's after what you've found especially with that email confirming the original forks being wrote off so even though the frame wasn't initially made to fit Cindy it most certainly seems to me that her initials were added to the serial number so they new who the bike was for once it was completed :cool: ..

Re: Re:

Muddy paw":7qhoiu1t said:
That's just awesome news mate and i can't imagine that frame being any one elses but Cindy's after what you've found especially with that email confirming the original forks being wrote off so even though the frame wasn't initially made to fit Cindy it most certainly seems to me that her initials were added to the serial number so they new who the bike was for once it was completed :cool: ..
I'm making a few more inquiries before calling it but the current evidence is fairly compelling. Even if it turns out not to be her bike it's been fun researching the history of the team for the build.

I'm thinking mountain bike magazine race Team reviews from 88 may hold further infomation but would contacting the likes of MBUK prove fruitful or would it be possible to contact her old team manager ? ..

I'm not saying that Cindy didn't ride it, but it was probably the heaviest frame I've ever ridden in my life.

krakhaus":3andhrun said:
I'm not saying that Cindy didn't ride it, but it was probably the heaviest frame I've ever ridden in my life.
Lucky you, we clearly have very different bike histories :LOL: the first bike I rode and raced weighed about 32-33lbs!
I'll weigh it this weekend and confirm if it is indeed the heaviest bike frame ever made.

DynaCol":2k0o6shh said:
krakhaus":2k0o6shh said:
Lucky you, we clearly have very different bike histories :LOL: the first bike I rode and raced weighed about 32-33lbs!
I'll weigh it this weekend and confirm if it is indeed the heaviest bike frame ever made.

Yes i think my old 88 MuddyFox Explorer was around the 32lb mark and i bet my 1990 Fire Mountain weighs around 34lb and yet both bikes are a real pleasure to ride ..

Back