Stem: Kore
Handlebar: Specialized
Grips: Specialized
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Front - Avid BB5 with 160mm rotor - Rear, XT-V's
Brake Pads: Ritchey Blue (Rear)
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: none
Brake Levers: Clarks ultra light (68g/pair)

Shifters: STX 7 speed rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Deore
Rear Derailleur: Deore
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 7 speed "Mega Range"
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Shimano Alivio (modern)
Crank Bolts: stock
Chainrings: stock
Chainring bolts: stock
Bottom Bracket: stock
Pedals: 520

Hub Skewers: stock shimano / generic Specialized
Rims: Alexrims
Hubs: Specialized front, Shimano S8 rear
Nipples: brass
Spokes:
Tyres: Michelin front, Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3 rear
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Cannondale women's
Seatpost: Stock 30.6
Seatpost Binder:

Weight: 27#

My wife's retro-mod, a '97 Hardrock AX. She bought it new when I worked at the shop, and she was just my girlfriend... I'd dreams of teaching her to mountain bike back then.... They didn't come to fruition then.... But about 3 or 4 years ago, post 2 kids, she got tired of her generally poor physical condition and took up exercise, joined a local woman's MTB club, and took the old Hardrock out to the trails. The first summer, she rode it dead stock, rigid, low end canti's, 7 spd gripshift. Lots of bruises, bent chainrings, but generally the bike did well.

Soon, we came into possession of perhaps the worst RS fork ever made, a J1, 5.5# of 80mm pogo stick, but it took the edge off the bone rattling trails for her. Her wrists and shoulders stopped hurting so much. She could see the trail easier without her eyes rattling about so. It was good.

With it came V brakes, by necessity. She chose a pair of bright blue clarks levers, 68g the pair.... LOL.

That fork served her well for 1.5 years, along with the odd upgrade as parts broke/wore. New crankset, new cassette (mega range, LOL). She raced her first race, became very enthusiastic, and began to hone her skills and confidence.

Confidence is a double edged sword. Mid last summer, she found herself near the end of a group ride, hurtling down a gully, arched bridge at the bottom. Launched herself too far, landed on the upslope on the other side of the bridge, badly, and bent things. Bent the fork (one dropout was 15mm higher than the other). Bent the front axle. Bent her confidence.

We were able to find a damaged Magura Asgard 100 fork that I was able to repair (lathe time, good fun), so I installed that along with a new front wheel, Avid BB5... The tall fork relaxed the head angle a bit, putting it on par with modern trail bikes (somewhere near 67.5/68 deg at normal sag).

Today, the bike is lighter than it was in rigid original spec, about 27#. The derailleurs are modern Deore stuff, the shifters vintage STX 7 speed. A mix all 'round, no purist here. But the bike's ride has been transformed. It's wonderfully capable, durable, and comfortable. The handling is relaxed, confidence inspiring, but not so slow as to make it a chore on the single tracks.

She rides much more than I do now.

It's your bike - Make it suit your needs. Go ride. Break stuff. Breakage is an upgrade opportunity.

These photos were taken last night, without cleaning it from the day's short ride:

J

Back