Tom Board and TJ Cycles

Re:

I have spoken a few days ago with the framemaker which did the Jeannie Longo bike from 1986 with which she improved the world hour record for a women .

Wheelbase was 350mm !

apparently, this shortening of the wheelbase improved her time on a lap by as much as 4s give or take.

Whatever the time, seems the efficiency is improved substantially

sorry for the poor pic

this framemaker is now 72 years old and has built hundreds of frames - so a lot of experience - May have him build a made to measure frame evidently out of goog old steel !
for example the length of the bones in the leg are of paramount importance / the ratio - upper bone /lower bone is critical for the sizing and the position of the cyclist for a better efficiency :idea:

Re:

Is he still working ? Or doing the occasional frame if asked ? Should be relaxing by the fire :)

Of course leg proportions are critical to a custom bike, they determine seat tube angle etc. The whole point of custom is to get the bike that fits the rider, not what the manufacturer decides is cheap to make, or some sill magazine reviewer says will be better as this angle differs from that one.

Re: Re:

bduc61":320qsj9e said:
I have spoken a few days ago with the framemaker which did the Jeannie Longo bike from 1986 with which she improved the world hour record for a women .

Wheelbase was 350mm !

350mm is half the diameter of a wheel so how did she manage to have two wheels on her bike?

531brazed":2j7869co said:
he probably meant the gap between the wheels ?

That's still only 700mm aprox. for the wheelbase which, if correct, must have involved a good deal of pedal/crank overlap. Possibly not a great problem on the track seeing as how the rider would be going in a straight line so to speak. Top tube must have been very short.

Re: Re:

Old Ned":1rcympbp said:
bduc61":1rcympbp said:

Wheelbase was 350mm !

350mm is half the diameter of a wheel so how did she manage to have two wheels on her bike?

You ought to have corrected a poor froggy's english ;)
I meant the distance between the wheel axle and the crankset axle :mrgreen:
Ie the chainstay length !

Latest posts

Back