cross/commuter steel frame

fritzlite

Senior Retro Guru
been looking for a 29/700c frame, steel cross-style-dropbar-commuter.
Surly karate monkey, cotic roadrat, kaffenback-style ..but they are kinda heaaavy... (well, mayby not the cotic...?)
any ideas?...or should i just look out for a pure cross frame on ebay?
cheers

fritzlite...

inbred 29, hmm not a bad idea... and cheap`ish...
would like a good steel frame, but the older ALAN in comboing and alu, are nice...(mayby too nice for a commuter..).
soma double cross dc?...

>Surly karate monkey, cotic roadrat, kaffenback-style ..but they are kinda
>heaaavy... (well, mayby not the cotic...?)

I find myself old (mean:very old) Bianchi, 60 & 60 (c-c) , which have
chromed forks and lugs. Some kind of old travelbike version.

It's forks are so large, that even 622-47 anti-skid tire fit well. (!!)

Excellent winter bike projekt. - Like new and cost only 50 euros... :)

1/10 from Karate Monkey's only frame.

fritzlite":jk8zi1j9 said:
been looking for a 29/700c frame, steel cross-style-dropbar-commuter.
Surly karate monkey, cotic roadrat, kaffenback-style

I went through a similar search for a bike to ride daily to work - for me had to be steel, had to take mudguards, ss/fixed preferably an option without need for EBB or ss tensioner.

Looked at/owned the following:

On One Il Pompino - had an original one, liked it a lot but sold it as offered too strong money to resist. Good points are taht it is a solidly made frame and fork without being super heavy and, takes decent width tyres with mudguards and descends on rails. Downsides were that the wheels came unbuilt so immediately had to be sorted out and the fork steerer had been cut so that no spacers were possible (I'd hope these have now been sorted by On One). Almost got another but ....

Planet x Kaffenback - basically a geared Pompino frame but vertical dropouts and not being able to fit downtube shifters put me off

Cotic Roadrat - after reading so many good reviews I got one via a Bike2Work scheme. Decent enough but trying to be all things to all people all of the time - there seem to be loads of unused braze ons however you set it up. I thought that the full bike was seriously overpriced and a bit Emporer's New Clothes. Rode for literally 200 yards and then sold it which I think says it all!

But finally I got another Surly Crosscheck second hand (didn't look seriously at the Karate Monkey to be honest, probably should have done) and it has done sterling service. Started off with it in ss mode (semi horizontal dropouts) and latterly fixed. Tough paint, doesn't look anything fancy but solidly built and not too heavy. Can fit down tube shifters if I want. 28c tyres and mudguards fit easily, could go wider. Second hand is probably the way forward as a bit pricey new for what they are.

Hope that helps!

have checked out surly`s..and they look nice, and ok for the street.. but whats the Surly Crosscheck weight?... and is it "heavy" to ride, or does it mayby even have off-road potential?

Not sure on the weight of the Crosscheck, perhaps the Surly website will have it? It's certainly not a light frame although the main tubes at least are 4130 (like 531).

My impression is that it is neither particularly light or particularly heavy just solidly made and with a tough finish ideal for locking up to street furniture, in and out of cars etc. As well as for commuting I've ridden mine in hilly sportives and in the Pyrennes.

It definitely has offroad potential although I wouldn't be doing any drop offs on it (but then I wouldn't on any cross bike. Or any bike really).

I can do photos of my two set ups (one geared, one fixed) if that helps

yes, its called a crosscheck....but if the weight is 2.2-2.5 kilo, frame, and 1.2 kilo forks, i would say its more of a road workhorse/touring than a real cross-frame..
but i think a local shop, (thats closing for buissness), has a few surlys on the wall...so i`ll deff. check them out..

had a kaffenback once, but it was the wrong size, so didnt get a real impression.other than it was a bit heavy...

Back