1987 Cannondale Drop Bar Build

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I've been mulling over a drop bar build for ages, and had proper Specialized BB1 flared bar & MTB3 Stem in the stash waiting.

But getting the right frame took a bit of thought. I'm a firm believer that a drop bar mountain bike should have the drops where you'd normally want to hold on. Far too many builds that I've seen slap a drop bar onto a standard frame, resulting in front end contact points way too south.

My normal ride is a 20" 1988 frame, and the head tube on that was too lady like for a drop build.

So when an ugly duckling '87 Cannondale with fab lilac paint and a tall font end came up, I was in business (thanks Raidan for arranging the deal).

It's a bit of a spug, but rides really nicely: the frame has a direct feel but really isn't too harsh, and feels smooth with big tyres.

IMG_0628

IMG_0610

IMG_0614

IMG_0639

IMG_0643

:cool:

There she is! Cracking :cool:

You didn't fancy a Barcon or Command shifter?

raidan73":120qvwin said:
There she is! Cracking :cool:

You didn't fancy a Barcon or Command shifter?

Command/Butterfly shifting was on the cards, but they take up lots of room and I wasnt prepared to splash out the silly money to experiment.

I tried barcons, but they're not that ergonomic and the wire runs are horrible. This thing has a habit of barending the top tube too, so the cork plugs are more than cosmetic.

In the end, a little judicious filing allowed old faithful XC shifters to hug the wider diameter bars. They work too. (Patent pending.)

It looks really, really nice and that colour is great :)

Lush indeed and I bet it's just a lush with flat bars

This era dales are great Ali frames, not harsh at all imho

I really like it, colour, bars and the shifter... :cool:

Is this what you meant by too much for a drop bar build..?

Attachments

• f0b29a0f7838adcfccfd8d4f85925df9.jpg
    f0b29a0f7838adcfccfd8d4f85925df9.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,441
sinnerman":13rqm7gf said:
Is this what you meant by too much for a drop bar build..?

Exactly. Look at that guy - both brakes full on, obviously barely in control - rictus of fear. Set up is all wrong. Anyone would think he'd slapped on a set of drops so he could get the same position as his road bike ..... ;)

This is what he needed:

566079d1283369588-bridgestone-mb-1-best-year-made-87bridgestone_mb1_mtbr.jpg

I was trying to think if you were making more of a reference to a bar and stem combo, than say a top tube length, and bottom bracket height.

Tomac taking on board his gear controls and stem, but as you say used a conventional bar and frame geometry

Back