King Kahuna build advice

Yo Crashy

Devout Dirtbag
Hei,

Just bought a nice 1997 Kona King Kahuna frame and was hoping you retro dudes could advise on the build....

Basically I already have either an '06 Rock Shox SID or an '04ish Fox Float fork that could go on it. Would it be sacrilege to build this with a modern fork, or should I look round for a 97 era Bomber or Pace?

Also have some lovely but new Race Face Deus cranks...Do I stick these on the frame or track down something old school and cool?

I think I know what you're all gonna say...

Congratulations on the purchase.
I suppose it all depends on what other bikes you have in your stable. My '97 Hei Hei is my only bike so it gets all the modern kit.

It looked pretty good on the bay! :D

If youre gonna ride it often an on reasonable trails, new skool the forks for sure. If you value the pose and keeping it period more, then go old skool and keep it retro!!!

I was running Fox F80 RLT's on my '98 KK for a while but have since fitted rigid forks. The Fox's are just over a year old, hardly used and are in minty condition, long steerer of 220 mm, interested?

Either way I'd love to see pics of yours!

:D

stevek":3d4r9mvx said:
I was running Fox F80 RLT's on my '98 KK for a while but have since fitted rigid forks. The Fox's are just over a year old, hardly used and are in minty condition, long steerer of 220 mm, interested?

Either way I'd love to see pics of yours!

:D

Thanks but I have a Float 100RLC in pretty good condition that I think I'll stick on it. Hopefully the frame will be here by the beginning of next week...Will post pictures then.

Heh, got a 100 RLC myself on another bike but wouldn't put a 100 mm travel fork on the KK, it will change the handling and place more stress on the head tube. It wasn't designed for that geometry... although probably would be OK.. :?

It was the reason I bought the F80 in the first place.

Hmmm thats interesting... I was only thinking of the 100RLC because in the 97 Kona catalogue it shows the King Kahuna built with 100mm (ish) Bomber Z1's. Might go with my 80mm SIDs then.

Yeah, they'd definitely be less than 100 mm! If you've got the collar for the RLC's you can reduce them down to 80 mm.

Simple. Run the SIDS with old RS stickers. Look old school - work new school !

Back