Hirame By Kuwahara info reqd

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
good evening all latest member of stable to arrive is this Hirame by Kuwahara racer bike , not sure when it dates from but going for early 80's by the look of the back of front brake caliper ,Mavic red label 27" alloy narrow rims mounted on to steel plessier hubs (not alloy) . tubing is Magny v buuted and is quite light at 11kg as per pic , mix of shimano 600 gear levers and sr crankset with campag deraileurs . shimano 600 knothed head set .

nice chrome forks and rear half stays in good condition , not tried yet as only just arrived , anybody have any info on these looks like this has come via the states as bike shop sticked from the states on tubes .

Attachments

• hirame.jpg
    hirame.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,758
Good to see another Hirame on this site and it looks in good condition, mine is the one linked to above. I can not see from the picture if it has mudguard eyes or not, they did 3-4 different frame specs. On my frame it seems like the date is part of the frame number under the BB, mine was built in 82 I bought it end of line in 86. The frames handle very well in my opinon. They normaly came with a Tange headset.

Phil

ok phil will look at frame no , mine has eyes on rear cant remember if front has or not , i take it they came only as frames then , as my wheels seem older than frame .

did you ever get yours painted

Hello biggs,
Not fully painted yet just, before Christmas the weather came in very soggy down here. What I decided to do was clean up and spray the worst bits and see how it matches to try and keep the paint as original as possible. Most of the down tube is now primed up so now to clean around the BB and a couple of chinks on the top tube. But will have to wait until it dries up a bit or the top coats will Bloom when sprayed. I will update my post when I have proper progress.
If your new bike originaly came from the N London area there is a very good chance it came from Whiskers as they would build the bikes up to what spec you wanted and never put a label on them. At the time you could spec 27" or 700c wheels.

Phil

fellow hirameuser , just checked and no frame number on bottom bracket in sight or elsewhere on frame that i can see , has mount points on fr forks as well .

not sure where it came from origanally as only a shop in the states has a sticker on the frame , i got it from a guy in scotland . it does have the evian sticker .

quick update , got my first gentle commute in on this machine , and was well impressed the way the bike rides , just need to do a couple of minor adjustments but otherwise very nice bike and can see what the fuss is all about .

Re:

biggs682":d2rztz3t said:
fellow hirameuser , just checked and no frame number on bottom bracket in sight or elsewhere on frame that i can see , has mount points on fr forks as well .

not sure where it came from origanally as only a shop in the states has a sticker on the frame , i got it from a guy in scotland . it does have the evian sticker .

THe frame is probably from Kuwahara, so the frame number should be on the lower seat tube non-drive side. Format YY MM xxxxx.

Back