Early to Mid eighties touring derailleurs

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I'm tarting up a mid eighties fuji MTB and its suntour XC rear mech didn't survive my stripping and cleaning process [boing! - spring launches itself into the void and is reluctant to go back where it belongs].

Comparing the XC to a XT 735 there is a big gap in solidity (admittedly a slightly unfair comparison), all of which prompts me to ask the question, what was the absolute best longish cage rear mech in the early 80's?

Huret? I've heard these named Duopar and/or Superb - same model? Any good?

Other Suntour? GT? Superbe Tech?

Shimano XT deer head?

I'd say Campag too.

Or if you are lucky enough to find one, the Mavic long-cage mech is my personal favorite.

i had a mvic long cage rear errrr 875 or summet ....could strip the whole thing down ....damn i miss that mech..... :?

Thanks for the tips chaps: diraeligears is a treat and has put me in touch with an 80's huret on ebay.de.

I just hope my auto-translated message about postage costs doesn't come accross as a question about hostage cocks :shock:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back