23888864705_2eaa8575ed_b.jpg
:shock: Wow, when a bike becomes a work of art :shock:

Here Goes

Can I Throw my hat in the ring? My 1987 Rourke - all original paint and chrome

Attachments

• BRNew1.JPG
    BRNew1.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 7,677
Some really beautiful entries once again.
Really liking the colour and the chrome of the Rourke.
There I was thinking it was slowing up this week as well.
Keep 'em coming.

Jamie

Re: Re:

OldTel":2etznpka said:
Hi, it is roadster weather, so why not, anything goes, I bet you won't see many bikes in this RBotM with these angles. It does ride lovely. Terry

1921 Rudge Whitworth Aero 6

LOVE it!

Major HW Tilman, one of the most famous explorers and mountaineers of the 20th Century, in September 1933, rode a similar black heavy Raleigh Roadster, which he had bought for £6 from Kampala, across Africa, from East to West, sleeping rough, living off baking banana's, potatoes and paw-paw's, for 2 months - - using a map of Africa he tore from the back of a magazine for navigation!

The bike's durability was proven by the fact that over 40 years later it had still not rusted away, even in the Welsh rains, and was still being regularly ridden from Bodowen, his house on the Mawddach Estuary into Barmouth to collect his provisions, until at least 1977 when Tilman was lost at sea and never seen again.

I wonder if his Raleigh still survives?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Tilman

Re:

Seeing that Roadster has inspired me.
(My late Uncle's) Sohrab Roadster, photo shot by me after a ride by the Upper Jhelum Canal in 2007.

Pre and post war Roadster designs are very popular in the far reaches of The old British Empire, and Raleigh were huge in India and Pakistan. Raleigh designs have been copied millions upon millions of times - and still built to this day, the same old style, same designs, same brick sh*t house tank like build and Sohrab are one such manufacturer - and as a homage to Raleigh the headbadge is even Heron-like.

They're used for everything from commuting, carrying passengers and lugging provisions and livestock, yes Livestock - ever seen a goat on a Bike? I have! they're easily maintained and have Rod Brakes - and rod Brakes are just superb - not for Weight Weenies though - they look ancient, the dated design, stuck back in time, reminds me of 50ies American cars in Cuba, without the glamour.

My dad exported a Raleigh Roadster from England in the early 60ies for my Uncle (his younger brother), and it is still being ridden to this day, weighing upwards of 50 Ibs and built like the Eiffel Tower, it'll last forever!

And being pretty old Skool in many things - I shot it on Kodak Ektachrome and a Carl Zeiss 21mm Biogon T* lens on a Contax Rangefinder.

8595136189_31e9086506_b.jpg

Sohrab Standard Roadster Double Bar 22"

Standard: JIS & BS.

Net Weight: 16-22 Kg. 35-48 lbs.

Hub: Thin or Thick Barrel 5/16”, 3/8” Spindles, 32-40 Holes.

Frame: Steel Tubing (ERW) Diamond Type. One Piece Bulged Head lug.

Fork: Swaged Integral Fork & Butted tube for steering column, CO2 welded.

Freewheel: ½”*1/8”*18 Teeth (B.F.) Threads 1.370”*24 T.P.I. (B.S.).

Chainwheel & Crank: ½”*1/8”*36, 44, 48 teeth C.P., Rectangular Crank 5-1/2”, 7”.

Rims: “WO” type 20*1-3/8” to 28*1-1/2”.

Handle Bar & Stem: Double Lever (C.P.) and PVC Grips.

Brakes: Rim Brakes Front & Rear.

Saddles: Steel Frame, Polyurethane Moulded Top. Placed Springs.

Pedal: Full Rubber 3.5”, 4” with Hardened Axle Steel.

Chain: ½”*1/8”*110-114 Links.

http://www.sohrab-cycles.com/roadsterdo ... etails.php

Re: Re:

OldTel":3fidlkxm said:
Hi, love the Bill Tilman story, there's someone who couldn't sit still. Terry
He was a superb writer too, witty, funny, erudite and cynical-i recommend his 7 mountain books and his sailing ones too - brilliant man, and pure adventure!

That is a proper bike alright and a great back story but it is also a proper photo. Stands out in a sea of auto digital images for sure. Jumps out at you instantly.
Love it!

Jamie

Jamiedyer":jww6bo4e said:
That is a proper bike alright and a great back story but it is also a proper photo. Stands out in a sea of auto digital images for sure. Jumps out at you instantly.
Love it!

Jamie
Thanks Jamie
I do like using film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back