Gary Fisher Supercaliber confirmed as '91

BG

Retro Guru
Just bought a Gary Fisher Supercaliber off a local classifieds site.

Probably paid too much for it but been looking for a project for a while, and this one looks like it'll keep me busy!

Frame seems sound (though paint and decals are nackered - looks like it'd been someone's commuter for a long while - there are a few nick and scratches from chainsuck and where the last owner had mounted a rear rack.

I don't think I'm going to try and bring it back to original as it'd just be too hard, but I'll clean it up, have a play around, and see where it takes me.

Can anyone confirm it as a '92 model? or got a catalogue. Specs on FirstFlightBikes are great and I'll start there when I get time (ta Geoff) but would really like to see what it looked like when new.

Attachments

• supercaliber02.jpg
    supercaliber02.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 10,689
  • supercaliber03.jpg
    supercaliber03.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 10,690
  • supercaliber01.jpg
    supercaliber01.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 10,690
Well from more hunting around (there is an article in German on this site, and comparing the decals to the pics on the First Flight web site and the specs published there) it looks like it is a 1990 model not a '92, it is painted in team tricolour which seems to match and the article on this site (from Germany) was published in '91 and the bike featured is the same colour as mine so it could be an older model was reviewed.

Progress has been slow to non-existent. Been busy with other (non-bike) stuff... but I'll get there.

Will post when there is something to show!

Thinking of powder coating it white, and getting a mate who can do stickers to do up some new decals that I've redrawn (sort of) from what's there but modernised a bit. I want to polish up the cranks (like I've seen someone on here do with some XCpros) and brakes and make it all nice and shiny.

The parts are now a mix of Shimano and Suntour so it's never going to be an accurate reproduction, but I hope it'll turn out ok.

I agree, but doing good fade paint jobs is beyond me.

Still as nothing has been done yet I guess I can hunt around and see if there is anyone local that'll be able to help me out.

Patina of age... why are we so fixated on trying to make these old bikes look like new?

It's a 16 year old bike ffs... give it some working and worthy components and get it out on the trail where it belongs.

"I feel a rant coming on" :roll:

True leaving it as it is would be a much more cost effective course of action.

I'm not sure why we feel we must return everything to their former glory (or better), but i guess it helps to pass the time, empty the wallet and relive memories.

Ah, the joys of this forum, no decision is easily made as everyone has constructive criticism that can (and sometimes should) be taken on board.

Thought I'd add to this thread as I found it while doing a search. Just to clarify the Supercal in question is a '91 model. I have one in my garage as we speak. Sadly it has a cracked head (see sig)

Can it be repaired, being alu? If not I will strip it down tbh and maybe use some parts on the celerity if need be.

My Supercal has manitou 2 forks, club roost bars, onza L bend bar ends and onza grips, gore tex 'ride on' cables with Suntour XC comp transmission. Braking is taken care of with a 986 up front but deore LX rear canti. (ss5 lever) Velo Ti saddle. X-lite (in blue) Ti seat bolt. Good old clips and straps. I am SO gutted about the head tube now!

Thanks for clarifying it as a '91.

Head tubes are usually terminal, but you never know. There is a place in in Australia that is pretty good at repairing seemingly dead frames - www.gripsport.com.au - and if there is one here I'm sure there are others.

Having said that - I've seen a couple of these for sale on ebay and elsewhere quite cheaply, so you may be able to get yourself a replacement if you keep looking... or 'upgrade' to something else.

Back