H.R.MORRIS

Midlife":38jopdut said:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/hrm-builders2.html

Did Kevin Sayles build this one? ........ or the lugs with SP on the head tube?

Shaun
I met Dick Morris when he was 96yrs old and he showed me the lugset and said he would have liked to seen them made up into a frameset. I was not in a position to do anything at the time as we were in between houses at the time. Dick finished his shop and frame building business in the late 70s and moved to be near his son near Cambridge. He said I cut these out just for something to do (he was renowned for fancy lugs) he cut these out when he was about 90yrs old. I kept in touch with Dick and a year later he had a Stroke, I visited him in hospital but sometime after he died. I went to Dicks funeral and kept in touch with his son. I asked his son if I could get the lugs made up as Dick would have wished and he said YES. I went to see Kevin Sayles at Woodrups and he was more than happy to be part of finishing the frame off. Kevin did put the extensions on at the back of the head lugs and just below the bottom head lug on the down tube with my permission he put a little heart with an S in it which was his mark on the frame. I hope between myself and Kevin Sayles we have done an old craftsman proud, my only regret is Dick never got to see it. I hope this explains about the bike. I have managed to put on nearly all old Campag super record.

Thanks for taking the time to finish the story for me, much appreciated :) Hopefully some of the things I do live on after I have gone.

Cheers

Shaun

PS I have a Kevin Sayles built frame, only Kevin was about 17 when he built it......

Midlife":2iwebo3y said:
Thanks for taking the time to finish the story for me, much appreciated :) Hopefully some of the things I do live on after I have gone.

Cheers

Shaun

PS I have a Kevin Sayles built frame, only Kevin was about 17 when he built it......
That would have been when Kevin was at Bob Jackson because that is where he did his apprenticeship, but you probably know that. He is a really nice guy and another great craftsman.

Truely beautiful! and a great story of doing a craftsman proud.
Well done to both of you.

Jamie

Just seen this
Hands down one of The Most beautiful bikes I've ever seen and a jewel

Re:

Hi mate
Wow this is certainly an old thread you've found, but one that is well worthy of bringing back for those that haven't seen it.
It is a really strange coincidence that I was only about an hour or so ago looking at a HR Morris frame on ebay. Really lovely lug work etc. Thankfully for me its too big.

Jamie

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":22rh07pl said:
Hi mate
Wow this is certainly an old thread you've found, but one that is well worthy of bringing back for those that haven't seen it.
It is a really strange coincidence that I was only about an hour or so ago looking at a HR Morris frame on ebay. Really lovely lug work etc. Thankfully for me its too big.

Jamie
Is that the track frame on eBay ?
To be honest I've seen nicer HR Morris frames than this - and the odd other frame builders example too - but I love this example - it's up there.
Wonder if any other Retrobikers have a HR Morris?

Back