Ribble 753 TT - 1991

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Given it's so miserable & cold out there, I thought I'd share my latest addition to the fold.

Very limited on 'proven' facts but this bike is believed to be ex Chris Boardman circa 1991/92. Ribble Cycles contracted Boardman for a 'reported' 5 figure sum in 1991 with exclusivity to use Ribble Frames. Said bikes (there were obviously a number produced) followed after Boardman's association with Cougar ended. The deal with Ribble ended sourly just before the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. The Mike Burrows creation that was the legendary Lotus 108 Windcheetah that Boardman used at the Vall d'Hebron Velodrom for the 4KM pursuit final was part of the British Cycling Federation armoury. Given it's revolutionary design it was obvious that any product from Ribble wasn't going to see the light of day in Barcelona. Ribble contemplated litigation, though I don't believe it ended up in front of a judge? If anyone has further or indeed conflicting information I'd be happy to hear from you as the above is a synopsis of a few hours trawling the internet for answers.

So to the bike itself - I'm going to go on the premise that the frame is the only original part of the Boardman connection. It's possible that the crankset & headset are original but the remainder has been changed by the lad I bought it from. I base this on the following link http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfleming/3 ... 7549524490. My bike is not the one as per the link - the seat post collar is lower than on mine, but I believe it's one of a number of frames produced for Boardman. I have searched for other Ribble TT frames on't t'interweb and none seem to have been built with the aero plate between top & downtube. It's also (rather beautifully) fillet brazed rather than lugged which seems to be rare for Ribble frames. Again I'm open to more information on this.

Lastly before the specifics, I should mention the weight. Reynolds 753 and it's ridiculously light - the Scott clip on bars mean it's front heavy when picked up. Oh to have to scales!

Since purchasing, I've changed the rear mech, saddle and bar end shifter(s).

Frame: Ribble 753 fillet brazed
Fork: Ribble 753

Headset: Campagnolo Record
Stem: 3T
Handlebar: 3T Moscow Bullhorns / Scott clip-on extensions.
Bar Tape: FSA

Brake Levers/Brifters: Dia Compe BRS Radius
Brake Calipers: Dia Compe BRS Radius

Shifters: Dura Ace RD-7700 Bar End
Rear Derailleur: Sachs New Success
Cassette: Sachs 12:19
Cranks: Sachs New Success
Chainring: Campagnolo 53T
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo
Pedals: Look Keo

Rear:
Juna Disc Wheel
Tube:Continental LA Olympic

Front:
Rims: Wolber 24"
Hubs: Mavic 501
Hub Skewers: Mavic
Spokes: Sapim Aero
Tube: Vittoria Competition

Saddle: Selle Italia Titanium Flite
Seatpost: Campagnolo C-Record 27.2
Seatpost Binder: Campagnolo

If I know only a little about the bike as described above then I know even less about the Juna disc wheel - Russian, used by the Russian Cycling Federation at the 84 or 88 Olympics? It's ridiculously light, no aluminium braking strip and made of Kevlar (perhaps)? Anyway, pictures:

Attachments

• IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMAG0192.jpg
    IMAG0192.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMAG0191.jpg
    IMAG0191.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMAG0190.jpg
    IMAG0190.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMAG0188.jpg
    IMAG0188.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,014
  • IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,014
nice bike that bring,s back memories as i raced against him at that time, and was soundly beaten.not sure the front wheel is 24 inches.i think they had gone by then and 26 was more the norm

matthew71":20ohwbb6 said:
nice bike that bring,s back memories as i raced against him at that time, and was soundly beaten.not sure the front wheel is 24 inches.i think they had gone by then and 26 was more the norm

you must have been pretty handy back in the day - what bike did you ride at the time? I really like this era as it threw up a few madcap designs. I thought the wheel was a 26 but i've got a Mavic GL330 rim on Shimano 600 hub and that is marginally bigger than the one on the Ribble - It's approx the width of a rim bigger so I assumed that it's a 24?

on a good day i could knock out 25 miles in 52 minutes,and at the time i had a eddy merckx columbus slx lo pro,and then after that it was a hand built omega frame in 7000 series alu

FINNEY1973":1b9vc2rc said:
If I know only a little about the bike as described above then I know even less about the Juna disc wheel - Russian, used by the Russian Cycling Federation at the 84 or 88 Olympics? It's ridiculously light, no aluminium braking strip and made of Kevlar (perhaps)? Anyway, pictures:

Nowhere near that old I'm afraid, the tricolour wasn't used in Soviet times. Russian Cycling Federation itself founded in 1990.

dwscrimshaw":10gvuttr said:
Interesting, I have just got hold of an old frame that has been suggested is a Ribble 753 and possible TT frame. Not got much to go on, no markings or numbers, see link

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/id-rey ... st-4039180

The vertical drop out you have are similar to mine, any thoughts on how to confirm if it is a Ribble?

There's few of the very early Ribble's about so can't comment on yours. The early ones had a traditional headbadge with 'lightweight racing bicylces' under a Union Jack / Chequered flag with a knights armoured head & crown.

Latterly the later bikes (80's onwards) always seem to have the same seat lug & cluster regardless of tubing type. Yours could be an early one; the seat cluster on yours should be a clue; whether it's a Ribble I couldn't say.

Bats":3kx0061y said:
FINNEY1973":3kx0061y said:

Nowhere near that old I'm afraid, the tricolour wasn't used in Soviet times. Russian Cycling Federation itself founded in 1990.

Yep, that stacks up. I was having a wild guess based on the Olympic '84 tubular tyre. Bike has long since been moved on though the Juna still resides in a box. It's a quality bit of kit for sure.

Back