97' Pace RC200

Yeah I know what you mean by punishing. But yes I agree - its a nippy bugger and mine was pretty lightweight when fully built with grafton and the xtr stuff.

I never see any pics of Pace's in the states. Wierd that - but I know a lot of the guys on MTBR.com do like them. Maybe with the choice of all the states-bred boutique brands theres no need to meddle with the English....

i got mine in origonal condition 40mm rc36's wtb speemasters 95(ish)
xt stuff syncros stem/post hope tit/sup wheels . a typical student grant
build. the owner traded it for a road bike at lbs it,it sat out the front of the shop for a week till i saw it £200 ticket on it
its an f3 i think fitted for cantis,made dropouts for discs and s/s running
old hope mini's at the mo
glad lbs takes credit cards.
the only thing is (q slagging)it's not that great a bike to ride, feels flexy, was told the stiff frame exagerates the sidewall flex of larger volume tyres (panaracer fire xc's) ?
climbs like a rocket assisted squirrel tho.
mikee

mikee":dtd2lf0n said:
the only thing is (q slagging)it's not that great a bike to ride, feels flexy, was told the stiff frame exagerates the sidewall flex of larger volume tyres

Depends which way you look at it doesn't it. Some might say that its such a great frame that it exposes the flaw of the tyres. Other people might just run smaller tyres!

To each his own :)

yeah i know but it's just not what i expected .
it had 1.5" conti cross country's fitted with 70 psi in when i got it
shoulda mebee tried them a bit longer.
still love it tho

I have no idea what you guys are on about here. The Pace backend is reknown t be super stiff and uncompliant - still feels super rock hard regardless of the tyres I used on it...

Explain?

The rear triangle is undisputidly stiff as hell. When I've run 2.1 + tyres on the rear of the Pace at the same pressure and same tyre (Yeti FRO) as what I've used them for ages and had deemed to be the right pressure on my old Orange P7, on the back end of the Pace feels like it is oversteering, as soon as you up the pressure it feels fine. It is more noticable on smooth hardpack.
I'm not sure of whether the tyre wall flexes any more or being used on the Pace or wheather the chareteristics of the tyre just become more apprent as there is no complience in the frame.

Well guys my RC200 F8 looks like its up for sale. Full XTR bar the hope hubs / discs.

Let me know if interested as its a VERY swift beeecylce

StevePSD yup thats what i'm feeling (baby)
it's most noticable on the road a fast sweeping set of bends feels as if
the frame is flexing around the bottom bracket but it's more of a yaw/pitch movement, or as you say understeer/oversteer
but its a more "squidgy" feeling than this.
some bikes you can drift predictably through loose fast corners a feeling
i know well but this is not the same
first thought it was loose spokes then tried different tyres raptors,ground controls,fire xc's,40/50 psi different wheels,even different bars/stems
i got to the point of going over the frame with a magnifying glass looking
for cracks or even stress marks ,didn't find any
i've got 80mm travel mxc's fitted (cheap good 1" fork) and thought it might be a geometry problem combined with the 1" headtube but
their not that big.the other thing could be wheel alignment
the rc200 neeeds a no offset wheel i'm told, my back wheel has a slight
offset and sits more to the drive side,not by much mind.
i'll persevere with it but let me know on any further thoughts you have.
mike

Latest posts

Back