Halfords International

Possibly a pre-Carrera branding? Halfords used to sell a variety of roadsters etc. at one time (as did Currys). What have you seen to ask the query?

Looks like a stock frame with Halfords transfers. I doubt that it's 531 or anything like that. As it's got 27" wheels it must be 20+ years old at least. Probably OK for a hack work bike or similar.

Halfords International Road Bike

Can't find any info on this model, which I picked up on a Car Boot :

HalfordsInternational.jpg

I was going to try to convert it to some sort of 'poor man's hybrid' with MTB bars, and gears, as I've got a dodgy back, but Im not sure if it's (a) possible, (b) advisable, or (c) downright suicidal :shock:
Alternatively, if anybody would like it cheap, (tyres very worn) pm me for more details.

I had one of those bikes thirty years ago or so, my first proper racing bike. They came in various builds, partly I think dependent on whatever the factory had lying around. I saw three close up. My first was stolen after three months and replaced by Halfords' own insurance cover, and my uncle had one. All three had slightly different builds. My second one had a Reynolds frame (can't remember tube references) quick release wheels and a (count em, this was the mid 80’s after all) six speed block on the back, sachs gearing. My uncles didn't have quick release wheels but did have the six speed block, memory is vague on my first model but I don't think it was a Reynolds frame.

God I loved that bike and I was gutted when I leant it to a friend many years later at university who promptly got it stolen.

The bike had a brushed suede (selle italia?) saddle and black cloth tape. It went like the clappers. It got used in local time trials, group rides and general pootling around. Great to see a photo of one again. You should definitely get some nice black cloth tape for the bars!

Halfords have a poor reputation today, but it is nice to see old Halfords bikes still about. They have done so much for cycling in the past, and deserve some recognition. There are several people on here that have old Halfords bikes, and i applaud them for keeping them for the historiacl record.

Dave

HI THIS CYCLE WAS LATE 70'S FIRST AND BEST WAS IN WHITE WITH THE ORANGE AND BLACK TRIM THIS CYCLE WAS RECALLED SO QUEEN COULD USE IT ON THE RECORD LP COVER (FAT BOTTOM GIRL'S ? ) THEN REPLACED BY THE GOLD ONE WITH BLACK AND ORANGE TRIM . THE CYCLE WAS MADE BY HALMANCO = HALRORDS MANUFACTURING CO IN SOUTH WALES THIS WAS PART OF THE BURMA GROUPE WITH ( BURMA OIL CASTROL PARTCO HALFORDS RETAIL AND HALFORDS HOLLAND ) THE FRAMES WHERE A LIGHTER STEEL NOTHING AS ANY REYNOLDS THE HALMANCO FACTORY WAS SOLD TO C BUTTLER AND THE SAXON NAME BRAND WAS RESARECTED (CLAME TO FAME HOWERDS CYCLE IN LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE) THEN CAME THE APOLLO AND CARRERA BRANDS ALL THIS AS I WAS A CYCLE MANAGER FOR HALFORDS THE GOOD OLD DAY'S

Re:

Just to reiterate the message above. I worked for Halfords in the late 70s, these were Halfords' own brand lightweight racing bike circa 1978/9. The frames were mostly painted the brightest white, and the saddles were velvet coated, can't remember another colour. As mentioned, the production company filming videos for Fat Bottomed Girls, and Bicycle Race for Queen got in touch with Halfords to hire some bikes for the naked girls to ride. They sent a load of these as the were the flagship bike. When the bikes came back all the saddles had to be changed. Freddie and Brian mentioned this in one of their docu videos.

Back