Yellow! Zaskar!

jimwah

Old School Hero
Really pleased I found this site, inspiration to get back on 2 wheels after a long break - hope you like the bike ;)

Well here's a few pics of my new (to me at least) GT after another blast around the local trails, pretty chuffed to finally own one of these and it rides much better than I expected. I'm not entirely sure of it's age, I saw a similar Zaskar posted, in the same colours, which I think was a '97?

I was admiring the remake GT have done of these in the front of MBUK recently, and a few days later this appeared for sale from a friend at work. £200 is more than I wanted to pay, but I knew it wasn't too badly knocked about & has some nice kit on it.

Slapped some neoprene boots on the shocks, which were hiding in the LBS bargain bin for £5, just 'cos the mud around here is really gritty & I worry about the shocks (they have quite a smooth motion at the moment, so want to keep it that way). Also, I got some new tyres, was looking for another set of amberwalls, but the originals were shot & I really wanted to get riding. What I really wanted is a set of the old brown-walled conti XC's I had on my one of my old rides - loved the tread on those things, not sure if they'd fit in with this ride though.

Planning to get some new decals & seatpost/seat/stem, perhaps sticking with a red seat & black post & stem. Don't want to go overboard on the red (possibly have already..). Anyway I'm rambling now, here's the pics:

Attachments

• Zaskar-003.jpg
    Zaskar-003.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Zaskar-005.jpg
    Zaskar-005.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Zaskar-007.jpg
    Zaskar-007.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 2,295
  • Zaskar-008.jpg
    Zaskar-008.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2,295
Cheers stevet1, I doubt this will ever turn into some of the pristine projects I've seen on here, I like bombing around on it too much, and with the trails exactly 30 seconds from my shed, it's never going to stay clean :D

I'm actually finding myself drawn toward the full-sus GT's for a project, although I've only ever ridden full-sus a couple of times on a Y-22 years ago :evil: I'm not sure how the LTS/STS design handles & what to look for on these models. Either way, I've got to make more space in the shed before I can do anything!

jimwah":4p7udvlz said:
I'm actually finding myself drawn toward the full-sus GT's for a project, although I've only ever ridden full-sus a couple of times on a Y-22 years ago :evil: I'm not sure how the LTS/STS design handles & what to look for on these models. Either way, I've got to make more space in the shed before I can do anything!

Nice bike! I love the yellow Zaskars, not as common as the ano and ball burnished ones :cool:

If your considering FS GT's I may do a deal on my LTS if your interested? Could involve this Zaskar ;)

Welcome, by the way! :LOL:

Cheers Pickle! I've got to admit that LTS has got me thinking now, nice project & lovely colour... although I don't think I can seperate from the Zaskar, not for a while at least. I'm thinking the Zaskar will be my 'mountain goat' XC bike, and then an xTS built slightly heavier for some of the steeper, more ragged trails I'm finding.

How do you find the LTS compares to the RTS? I imagine they handle quite differently with the different positions of the shock? They both look capable of handling some rough treatment, something I worry my Zaskar may not enjoy long term. Definately keep me informed if your shifting the LTS though, it seems I've been bitten by the GT bug :D

jimwah":178fjzl9 said:
How do you find the LTS compares to the RTS? I imagine they handle quite differently with the different positions of the shock? They both look capable of handling some rough treatment, something I worry my Zaskar may not enjoy long term. Definately keep me informed if your shifting the LTS though, it seems I've been bitten by the GT bug :D

The LTS is softer than the RTS, and as such gives a comfier ride on the flat and downhill, but isnt as good on the climbs. I have the suspension on my RTS set quite stiff so its a real XC whippet ;)

Weight difference, there isn't much in it. The LTS is the 'frame only' model, and as such is 6061 alloy with titanium linkage plates. Both come in around the 26lbs mark :cool:

The RTS will never go, as I've had it from new. The LTS I'm not so precious about, but it'd only go to be replaced with a Zaskar (or Xizang......yeah right! :roll: ).

Nice Zaskar :cool: , i still miss my old one.

As pickle said the LTS is a more active suspension design, (the RTS locks up when pedaling) standing up climbing on an LTS is a waste of time but climbing is'nt too bad seated.

I'll probably never part with my LTS now (came close a couple of times since finding this site :) ), my ideal stable would be my LTS DH, a Zaskar, an LTS 1 and an RTS but a line must be drawn somewhere :LOL:

jimwah":136bqoba said:
I saw a similar Zaskar posted, in the same colours, which I think was a '97?
You should be able to work out the year from the serial number under the BB.

£200 is more than I wanted to pay, but I knew it wasn't too badly knocked about & has some nice kit on it.
£200 is a very good price for a Zaskar with that kit on it :shock:

Planning to get some new decals & seatpost/seat/stem, perhaps sticking with a red seat & black post & stem.
Contact gil_m on here for decals, he does a great job. He did Tallpaul's Zaskar, so should have the template already. Red flite, black post and 0% rise black stem with straight bar is the way to go :cool:

Thanks for the info guys - I definately agree with the red flite, and I'm going to check the seatpost size later & keep my eye out for a nice syncros post or similar.

I'm finding I get a slight ache across my shoulders & mid-back when riding, I'm not sure if I am sitting too upright, or not enough (or perhaps my back is just complaining about actually doing some work again!) - my dad's due round next week & he's a bit of a pro at sizing bikes up, so I'll see what the verdict is on the stem/bars setup. It might have been a decade or so, since I rode a bike with straight bars :p It would fit the purpose/look of the bike though, no doubt.

Back