Retrobike Autumn meet - Saturday 4th Nov 10:30 am Cannock

Looked like a good ride there fellas, will have to make the effort next time, just bad timing for me.
Good to see retro bikes being used, bet jez's white porcs lost about £50 in value on that ride alone... :D

ti-fat-man, Heh not seen that violet fat before, wow! own up who's the owner? Alan I am :LOL: only had it a few weeks got it as a frame and fork from the States

The white Porcs survived with little wear actually. :D

I came home and found another had been delivered to the house as a spare (the front one is a bit wonky - a tyre that is buckled eh?)

Just need a other now!

Nice one there, retroking. presume that was an ebay purchase? i must have missed that one, i wouldn't mind snapping up a tasty 'billy', i'm keeping the radar tuned in. that's got to be the 'must have' colour as well.
never actually seen the violet in the flesh, does owning the 'darren tapp' mbuk mag count??, cheers ti-fat.

Friday Waffle

Forgot to add my comments on the last (my first) Cannock meet...

It was with some trepidation that I motored down from Manchester to Cannock to meet up with the virtual colleagues of Retrobike. Cruising round the busy car park like some self conscious amatuer dogger :oops: , I passed a dude :cool: unwrapping a mint Zaskar with a Mavic headset (just like my first bike) and thought he must be 'one of us'.

Then I noticed that there was an MTB orienteering event on - they always seem to attract tight wallet weirdy beardies :roll: who inevitably are still on the only bike they ever bought - thus lots of retrobikes by default swanning about.

Choosing not to speak to strangers - as Mummy taught me - I wandered around the bike shack, killing time, looking for more clues. When I got back, the Zaskar was joined by a Buck Shaver, the owners were without beards - convincing me that these boys ain't going map reading. Max wandered up to join the party, the general consensus amongst the group (who had met before) was that Jez and Jon would be late, giving me enough time to warm up the Alien.

Off around the Follow the Dog trail, the whippets up front being Jon, Jon's (not quite retro but nearly) mate, Russell and Gump, on his own mid-pack, citing man flu, was Jez and the fully loaded Tremble, with the lantern rouges being myself and Max.

The trail here is fast and smooth with lots of 'in the trees' tracks. I learnt very quickly why a 25" bar with bar ends, despite being pre-90s retro, was and always is a bleeding liability!

I also learnt that I am not fit enough and this week went to my first RPM spinning class at the gym to sort it. 'Spinning' - what on earth is that all about??? The bikes may be rigid, but they have no anodising, weigh a ton and all look the same! It's also a painful way to sweat - so I guess it must do some good?!

Lots of other bike action around Cannock meant plenty of stoppers and starers who always come out with the 'I used to have one of those, threw it in the skip, is that what it's worth now' lines... We deffo need to have some retrobike business cards to recruit those unaware of the site.

All the metal/carbon on show was of a high standard, some trick, some plain old school - all individualised and all very lustworthy. Max brought a spare just in case we didn't like his RC100 (yeah, right...!) - we put his lilac ShockaBilly to work after the lunchbreak. Next time he should bring a transporter as it turns out he has something of an MTB museum on the go!

Had a long chat with Jon about the site and stuff as I hope to be able to run a weekend camping event under the Retrobike banner next year (more anon) and would be up for being an 'area rep', to host more regular rides for more local (to me at least) riders.

In summary - it's always going to be the events or meets make the virtual real. Let's get our 500+ sleeping colleagues to get out and about next year!

Neil

:LOL:

nice one!

It is a shame that out of over 500 users, only 7 came to the meet, but out of little acorns, big oaks grow and all that!

I really enjoyed the ride and company and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Back