Really weak bike related claims to fame

Here is one for you,

we were on a biking holiday in Swiss, and some mountainbiker on a Ritchey came out of the woods drove quite fast and went away. He was wearing a red shirt with a white + in the middle (swiss flag) and we wondered, could that be Thomas? Well we never know. But just wanted to say that. :)

I sold Martin Clunes (of 'Men behaving badly' fame) a bike when he was unable to drive his car after a, ahem, thirsty night night out/police man interface. I asked him if he wanted to test ride the bike first and he said yes then proply rode the bike around the shop 3 times, when I said that he'd get the best idea if he took it outside and rode it he looked a little blank faced and then went 'oooooh, i see what you mean'. Life and art springs to mind...

He bought a Marin hybrid thing, and signed a book for me.

Oh the Jo burt theme, I own his old bike stand (although it's probably easier for all those UK based riders who don't own a cast off from Jo to put their hand up as I think he's more of a bike part tart than our own Jez)

Oh and Clive Gosling (ex BMXer, cannondale and other bike biz type person) once explained the practice of 'tea-bagging' to me over a pint in an east london pub

gump":2essdbo1 said:
umm,
had many appearances on youve been framed with a spectacular over the bars episode down pipeline at Newnham 91 :D (wasn't my fault guy in front lost it on my line so had to go way off piste + big rocks = inevitable)

Used to go riding with Andy Gordon from GT and Craig Gilman from Trek

well thats it. pathetic really. :oops:

are you still in contact with Andy? I worked with him for 6months in 99.

nooo, not with anyone I used to ride with Scant.
Shame really

I rememeber there was one Spotlight news feature and Andy was asked some question about was he was going to do, and his stunning answer was ' keep calm, thats the main thing'. Kinda became a real pisstake phrase amongst us :D

Glandular fever, all over for him :cry:

John":1i2iftk7 said:
Right. Here are mine. Let's see if you can top them :LOL:

1. Have met and spoken with Mark 'Blast Off' Batt.
2. Once built a bike for Richard Ashcroft of the Verve.
3. Pictured on bike in an advert for a major motor manufacturer featured in the national press. As was Russell I believe.
4. Once owned a bike which was previosuly owned by Jo Burt.

Jon didnt you do the i-drive for Colin McRae?

Mine Are:

1. met and spoke with Mark Batt
2. Sold the bike to Richard Ashcroft.
3. Went to Steve Peats house in America
3. Worked with Alan Gunner
4. Currently work with Martin Hawes

ahh, hang on... went rinding round wharncliff with a guy who rides a lot with Steve Peat. Does that count?

Does anyone know if Caroline Alexander still lives in Ladyhall up here in Cumbria?

She was living here in the last Commonwealth Games she raced in, 2002 maybe?

tony pony":1wjexmdr said:
Jon didnt you do the i-drive for Colin McRae?

Hey, I'd forgotten that. Think Griffin did Colin's and they made me do Nicky Grist's.

tony pony":1wjexmdr said:
Mine Are:
2. Sold the bike to Richard Ashcroft.

But you never believed it was him did you? Until he got his gold card out. Neon green bravado or somesuch IIRC. Not sure as he ever did take up the offer of the free first service.

Back