How do I remove a 'difficult' freewheel?

Re:

ALL DONE!

In the end I had to go Shaun's route, and took the whole thing to pieces.

There was a certain amount of rust involved and considerable amounts of road dirt that was removed after which the body of the freewheel was put in my vice... still no joy.

Time to break out the trusty blowtorch / WD40 combo. This has worked for me on old car parts, British motorcycle engine bits and many other heavy metal bit'sn'bob's over the years. On the second round of hot /drench /vice, hot / drench / vice, attempting movement in both directions, I got a tiny movement tightening, and off it came loosening.

So, after an hour or two of brutality, heat and oil, all is now clean and ready for re-use.

Surely whichever way up the top and bottom will still go the same way relative to each other?

The History Man":6y7p6nzs said:
Surely whichever way up the top and bottom will still go the same way relative to each other?
True, but that wasn't the issue here. More like many many miles worth of wet and road grime forming a nice adhesive bond.

As soon as I got some heat and oil in there, it came off easily.

legrandefromage":2uayq4a2 said:
Any Klingon?
Fortunately no, not even any Anglo Saxon, just old fashioned heat, lubrication and brutality, much like a good Saturday night out.

Re:

Have you tried moving the wheel a little bit each way whilst the tool is in a vice .
Keep using wd 40 as you do this .
To late I will get my coat :LOL:

Re: Re:

bagpuss":66onrw3y said:
Have you tried moving the wheel a little bit each way whilst the tool is in a vice .
Keep using wd 40 as you do this .
To late I will get my coat :LOL:

I did indeed, a fine technique which usually works... but sadly not on this occasion.

Double check you are turning it the correct way then .... more force .... more oil and then finally heat ....

Back