91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech

I like it, you didn't get new decals did you? here's my one

[/img]

Attachments

• hydro sportsman 2.jpg
    hydro sportsman 2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 12,108
Aaargh I was all set for pulling mine apart & selling the bits, but now I want to keep it! :?

Re: 91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech - Emerges from the Cobwebs

Corduroyboy":2928ed6u said:
Were the frames actually made in England then? And if so, where were they built and when did they stop? I was became suspicious of companies BITD stating things like 'Handbuilt in England' when all they were doing was assembling the components here.... :roll:

Nope....assembled in England ;)

Re: 91 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech - Emerges from the Cobwebs

Corduroyboy":1sbvh33j said:
Gravy Monster":1sbvh33j said:
I like the "Handbuilt in England" decals , Saracen certainly dont make em like they used to :shock:

Cheers

Were the frames actually made in England then? And if so, where were they built and when did they stop? I was became suspicious of companies BITD stating things like 'Handbuilt in England' when all they were doing was assembling the components here.... :roll:

Not sure to be honest, but if it was today it would say Great Britain instead of England :roll:

Ziggy":2t22zxkc said:
I like! :cool: How does it ride?

It Rides well and if was new, I kinda like the long stem and high saddle , The frame is short but not too bad, The brakes are very powerful and the only concern I have is the amount of flex between canti bosses which is norm. Its good for Wheelies though :cool:

Dont Break yours up as they are so unique, Maybe there should be a Saracen of the Month :?: :?:

Gonzalez":2w2w213l said:
I like it, you didn't get new decals did you? here's my one

[/img]

All decals are original, the only addition is the Retrobike sticker to cover a scratch by the rear brake mount,

Yours looks tops, I am really loving these old Saracens, I have been a Kona nut until recently but must admit I have seen so many here I think I may have overdosed and am now at now at Kona rehab :cry:

Excellent job, looking really nice :cool: and I have a particular aversion to saracens as well.

What is the serial number?

Are the cable guides rivited on (I can't quite see from the photos)?

Does it have a press fit BB that is about 80mm wide?

And are the rear drop-outs smoothly filleted into the stays?

I'm asking as I've an Aluminium Gary Fisher Supercaliber from from the same era that's in an even worse state than yours: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33875 and while it has 'made in the US' and the American flag on it, I now believe it was made in Taiwan by the Fairly Bicycle Corporation alongside Redline AL60s, amongst others, and to me it looks quite similar to yours.

Here is some interesting (if true) reading about the origins of some bikes: http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

Certainly makes you think.

oh and before I forget - darn nice job of putting it back together - I only hope my restoration(ish) ends up looking as nice - I've still got a lot of work to do yet though.

Back