Retrobike peaks meet 2008 - aftermath thread

Cheers for the comments guys. Great pics MR K, can you send me the original of my P20, i forgot to take a pic of it all shiny? :roll: I've already nicked your pic for my avatar ;) For the moment anyway, Mutley will return.
Thoughts:

>Hats off to the guys riding cantis :shock: The P20 was a handful at times with V Brakes :LOL:

>The only major mechanical i was aware off, was a modern hollowtechII crank arm falling off :LOL: ;) Modern stuff, it'll never catch on

>Fantastic views and great riding - i've never ridden in the Peaks before

>The Yank(jeep cherokee) bust radiator, whilst the two Landrovers were fine

>Exactly how purple and how cool that Shock-a-billy is :cool:

>'Liam' sat in the pub, still in shock at not winning the KOTM( i still can't believe i won that!!) :LOL: ;)

Overall a cracking ride and good to meet up with people.

And finally, a thousand apologies, i still can't remember everyones name :(

MadCowKev":29s8lh4h said:
gump":29s8lh4h said:
more to the point, who rode in the pads? ;)

Didn't spot Neillls turtle outfit :LOL:

Wasn't me dude....I was 100% lycra.....pads might have helped with the post mudslide crashing upside down in a tree in front of most of the group though :oops: :oops: :oops:

I may have pissed some of you 'Race Faces' off with my overall slowness but I finished the whole route and really enjoyed myself.

Bike ran smooth as silk (thanks Jango), the route and organisation was brilliant (Thanks Mr K), met some really cool people (sorry I forget all the names)....special thanks to Big Ed for the moral support and encouragement ;)

I had a great time :D

neilll":13rntube said:
I may have pissed some of you 'Race Faces' off with my overall slowness but I finished the whole route and really enjoyed myself.

You went the distance Neil, an acheivement over the terrain, and given it was also the fastest RB ride I've experienced :shock:

Not everyone did the whole ride, so give yourself a bloody big pat on the back :cool:

Great weekend and really good to see so many new faces. During my three and a half hour A road drive hime yesterday, full of Red Bull and jelly babies and listening to Faithless gave me a great opportunity to focus on stand out moments:
  • A top route - many, many thanks to Mr K for great planning, raising the bar even higher
  • Perfect weather and glorious views
  • So many friendly, relaxed people
  • So many class old rides with specific mentions for the stunning Fuquay and P20
  • Max's brogues, what the well dressed gentleman will be riding in this season. Expect to see a cleat compatible version from Rapha soon (or possibly corespondent shoes and spats?)
  • Lack of mechanicals bar punctures on the modern Scott - there's a moral there somewhere
  • Heathy's excitement when he heard that a hen party was going to be in the pub
  • JV giving yet more evidence at the quiz that if it's all about the old school then he's the headmaster
  • Stopping off at a medieval skirmish just outside Market Drayton, proper retro!

When's the next one?

Errr, I had the pads on. Just for the first climb mind, it was too hot! I'm getting married in three weeks and got the whole "don't dare come back bruised and broken" talk before I left.
Had a super time, thanks all for making it special. Some nice bikes you've all got.

Really enjoyed the whole retrobike experience this weekend. Unbelievably friendly people who all made newbie's like myself feel welcome. I'd recommend it to anyone out there who is unsure whether to turn out.

I need to sort out my fitness somewhat and figure out why I got cramp in both legs, which i'll endevour to do for next year. Four months without a bike (not the way to build your project!) and then straight into that was a bit much for me I must admit. The downhills were awesome though, really tight and technical in places, loved them. The hillclimb was quality too, thanks to the man who set the bar very low at the start to save everybody elses blushes.
offroaders2.jpg

Even the 'lets off-road' gents enjoyed the banter.

Thank you to all but especially Mr. K for the excellent organisation and to those who took photo's for us all to enjoy.

See you next year, if not before.

What a grand day out, mud, more mud, wide puddles, deep puddles, brake levers back to the bars and a crunching transmission.
Old faces and loads of new ones, some sweet bikes, plenty of piss taking, no major tumbles or mechanicals, all finished off with a pie and a pint.
Thanks to Capt K for the route / quiz.

Latest posts

Back