end of the world? or not?

JME

Dirt Disciple
On September 10, 2008, scientists in Geneva will fire up the world's fast "particle smasher" for the first time. The machine is expected to spin particles 99.99% of the speed of light. Their intentions are to recreate the atmosphere immediately following the big bang. The project has been in the works for 20 years, the US alone has contributed $531 million to the cause, and 10,000 scientist from over the world have been involved in the effort. One of the possible side effects of this expirement is the creation of mini black holes, which would effectively "suck in" the Earth over a period of 50 years. Scientists working on the project say the black holes will be stable, but there seem to be more questions than answers. A German Biochemist, Otto E. Rossler, claims his group has recently discovered a new property of black holes....they don't evaporate! He has requested a safety conference prior to the firing up of this machine and has been denied, but given no scientifically substantiated answer for the denial. The machine will run for a period of two years, and the momentum will be gradually sped up during this time. It will take a long time after the two years to interpret all of the data, and probably a lot longer than that before we find out if any black holes were created. By then, it will be too late.

so what do you guys think?

There is almost no chance of a black hole forming, although CERN did do a study of this, just to make sure & they concluded that it will not create a black hole & there is nothing to worry about.

CERN have been smashing particles for ages already in a smaller set up (just as fast as the LHC) & no black holes there, the main differences are in the detectors (IIRC) which are more accurate then the current ones being used.

i'd love to be there, i'd love to be the one who says "i bloody well said it'd go wrong!!!"

it would be nice to be there just to punch the berk who came up with the idea just as we're all about to die just so he knows in his last minutes he's a knob!!! :LOL: :LOL:

seriously though, it'll just be another boring science type report and a let down just like the y2k thing and computers, sad muppet doom mongers!! :LOL:

oh well- things can't get any worse. I live in Morpeth. House? Under water. Business? Under water. My car collection? Under water. Bike shed? Under water. A bit of a theme developing here. Piss wet through and getting drunk. Fire that machine up and strap me onto the bastard- I'm ready!

Underwater Si

personally i think early 90s black holes were much better......heheheheh retro black hole website coming up....... :D

oh well- things can't get any worse. I live in Morpeth. House? Under water. Business? Under water. My car collection? Under water. Bike shed? Under water. A bit of a theme developing here. Piss wet through and getting drunk. Fire that machine up and strap me onto the bastard- I'm ready!

Si that is awful :cry:

I used to work for a company that made a lot of the "stuff" for the CERN ring and met some of the brains and they said they were trying to create a black hole. If it goes wrong dont blame me!

sorry to hear about morpeth me old fella...heard that the town is under 2 foot of water..hope everything gets better for you..ps hows the hangover.

Eek…

Well, I can't see the mrs complaining about me adding to the bike collection if we're all going to be sucked into a dark nothingness – right, where did I put that cheque book :LOL:

Back