Raleigh Activator 2

lrh":3b8f0ft7 said:
Rampage":3b8f0ft7 said:
Someone always mentions the saddle angle! It's actually too high at the front for me still!
Like I said, huge 'nads required to build this :cool:

Get it on the British Steel thread then... I'm sure that crowd will love it ;)

:)

I'm not sure it's the right bike for that thread, but yeah, why not.

At 2am last night I decided the star fangled nut wasn't quite straight enough, so I drilled it out. The only other 1" SFN I had was too tight and had to be ground down. It was still too tight but I persevered, then the thread stripped in it. So the second one had to be drilled out too.
I reserved a couple of 1" SFN's at Halfords and picked them today, I knocked up a rough tool to help install the SFN straight, it sort of worked. It's almost as straight as the original one that I shouldn't have bothered trying to fix!

1XuURZrd_original.jpg

:)

Want to congratulate you fella, this is individual and just goes to show what you can do.

I have a soft spot for the late 80's Dawes Magnum 501 frames, as they ride really well and was my first MTB.

So I agree, why not do a different project.

A question, I had some of the Torus forks, and they are nicely engineered, cant work out what your problem with installation is though..

Something to do with the star nut not being straight... :LOL:

Normal Trimnell forks have the 1 1/8" headset cups built into the forks they are connected together by a long bolt. The activator has a 1 1/16 headset so needed to use the origional headset. the easiest way was to make a conventional steerer to fit them which would take the JiS crown race.

Rampage":1itkc3k0 said:
Well.....

I'm hoping the end of this sentence is "I needed a boat anchor so...."

Only kidding, this thread made me think back to a kid I knew called "Fuzzy"

He had an activator in 92 and killed it pulling a huge table top at the local BMX track, the chain stay separated at the BB and he sort of managed to ride it until the big ring ploughed its furrow through the next turn.....

He was more than a little surprised at this turn of events however in hindsight maybe he shouldn't have been...

Back