Lothian and Central rides thread

Aye, it was a really good day out. Fair bit of stop/start since it was very much a mixed group, including a roadie who'd never really ridden off-road before. They all did very well though, no major offs and some of the stuff they rode was harder than black.

We climbed all the way up to the radio mast, and took a new descent down. I'd say it was blue at the top, tight, twisty in the trees, no berms, not too rocky. This brought you down to the start of Ho Chi Minh, which is basically above the bench where you stop for a breather before of the last climb for Spooky. Ho-Chi Minh is a bastard, rooty muddy and rocky, hard work without suspension as has already been discussed. Then we hit a couple of short link up sections that take you down to Zoom or Bust. Then we went down that, nipped round most of the green and then more off-piste stuff back down Janet's Brae, some of it quite steep, but really rather good. I walked the final 10 feet since it was steep and rooty, but of course you get to the bottom and it doesn't look all that bad. We basically ended up at last year's finish line for Enduro World Series, so I almost felt suitably gnar!

Then it was back to DaveDH's house for a cuppa and cake, then Velo and myself headed back up for a final buzz down Berm Baby Berm and the blue. Braw day out, and weather was not bad either.

50 Mile Road Cycle Circuit

I'm going for a wee 50 mile road riding circuit on August 23rd that I'm organising for my work coleagues in Midlothian and the near borders. If any of MacRetro are interested in joining in then read below :-
Hello Everyone,

You are people I know who do, or have cycled in the past or have expressed an interest in the past. You might however no longer have any interest in two wheeled exercise and if so I apologise for this email.

I am organising a circular 50 mile cycle run for Moredunites that starts and finishes beside the war memorial in the centre of Roslin Village which of course lies beside the Auld Original Roslin Hotel which has a handy beer garden at the front. The cycle run is of course open to any other Moredun employees you think might be interested and any non Moredun friends you might want to drag along.

The run will be approximately 50 miles in distance and will be completed at the groups pace however slow that might be. There are two possible refreshment stops at the Pine Tree Cafe by Eddleston about 40% of the distance and the village of West Linton which is about 70% of the way around. We will pass through Eddleston, come within a few short miles of Peebles, pass through Romano Bridge and West Linton as well as Penicuik and Auchedinny on the home stretch. Some of you who live near the route can of course bail out near your homes if you’ve had enough. Those who don’t live nearby need to be sure they can do the 50 mile distance.

The route is hilly, mainly on B-roads but a short period on the Peebles Rd and the A72 is unavoidable. Generally the scenery is very good especially if we get a clear bright day.

If interested you will need a bike optimised for tarmac as indeed most road bikes, hybrids, folding bikes etc are. Mountainbikes may benefit from replacing the gnarly aggressive treaded off road tyres for a smoother tread pattern. Plenty gears and good brakes would also be advantageous. Of course the bike needs to be serviceable and its rider conversant with basic maintenance such as the ability to fix a puncture. Please bring the tools and spares you would need for a simple roadside repair. Please wear a helmet but for various reasons I cannot enforce this.
Dress appropriately for the Scottish climate and bring energy snacks and funds to purchase refreshments.

Most important be realistic about your fitness and abilities. The distance might seem far but if ridden at moderate pace over several hours is not as severe as you might think.

If you are interested, know of someone who might be interested or want me to never darken your inbox again then please let me know.

Cheers

Re: Midlothian Muckabout

I was going to suggest a wee bash around my trails but now remember keith and ZZ suggested giving the Pentlands another wee go this Sunday.

For this Sunday 25th October.
Anybody interested in a Edinburgh Waverley Station to Southern Edge of Edinburgh and back semi urban mtb run. Taking in Holyrood Park, Craigmillar Castle Park, Burdiehouse Burn Park, Braid Hills and Hermitage of Braid and Mortonhall estate. I know a variety of paths that encompass all that and the beauty of it is those from say Fife and central Scotland can get there by train. Forth Rail Bridge is not closed and parking is not an issue as you dont bring your car.

Proper old school stuff for the days when you couldn't be bothered scaling the Pentlands. There is a cafe at the Klondyke garden centre in the Mortonhall estate at the far point.

Re:

it was the saturday we were thinking about doing the pentlands if you fancy it? - will depend on the weather but think we are still on for it ZZ?

how long is the run yer thinking about on sunday? im a wee bit stuck as need to be back at hoose around 2ish so i can take bike round dunfy wi shona as i need to carry her on-call shite stuff so she can get oot for a training run.

Re:

I can only do Sunday and I dont reckon whatever I'd ride would be finished anywhere near 2pm. What with the Bridge being closed I'd say this weekends a no goer. :(

Re:

aaaargh.......I'm out of action this weekend. Wifey is in full kitchen quotes mode so has arrranged 2 appointments on sunday with a lovely return trip to ikea on saturday! :evil: :evil:

will be loucky to get an hour on the singlespeed i reckon. :facepalm:

Back