Dave Yates Diablo - is this kosher?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I really want this, but need advice from you guys whether it's kosher - they say "he knows Dave really well" and that it's from 1994-5 - and I know I don't know much, but that frame design looks pretty dated - like it's from the eighties... plus he won't take Paypal so no protection if it's a fraud - should I go for it???

Cheers, Ed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/retro-dave-yates- ... dZViewItem

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
looking at the frame detail it looks good to me, ask if it is a custom build and the tubing it is built from, most off the pegs were columbus.
Dave speced the kona p2 fork as standard, which looks right.
bear in mind dave made the frames with long top tubes for the frame size and that is a big frame, hope you are well over 6 foot!
If in any doubt get the frame number and phone dave direct he is very helpful and is number is availible fgrom his website
hope this helps
jon

I am well over 6 foot which is what appeals - I've never had a bike that fits properly without long high rise stem, 400mm seatposts etc! I'm 6'3" with a 36" inside leg!!

Thanks for the help.

I put a bid in now after what you said (don't worry I won't hold you to it!) but I've also emailed Dave Yates to ask if he knows about this frame or seller. I guess I could retract my bid if Dave Yates says it's not a real one!

It is not real. There is a Huffy under that paint. Retract your bid.

..I always wanted a Huffy ;)

what makes you say that melvin?, i have an original diablo and it looks identical, down to the fillet brazed joints at the top and down tubes and the lugged bb and seat tube. seat clamp binder passes through stays and can just make out reat canti peg which will be brazed on to one stay and not both. i would say stick with it (check the frame no) if it is a fake claim through e-bay/pay-pal
Interested to hear your views melvin.
ta
jon

Back